Questions about Guinea Fowl

Apr 13, 2021
Australia
Hello people, I have a friend who lives in a town, I have chickens and roosters but they wanted the same but cannot because the obvious reasons, not every one wants people living next to them to have roosters ect... so yes you can just have chickens without the roo but they want something that can breed and continue on. So I just wanted to ask you guys a few questions about Guinea fowl. Yes I know all this could be googled but its just better imo to have a convo, have information from people you know. So the questions are... take note I know nothing about these birds.

1. Are Guinea Fowl suitable for a country town? (think noise, space ect..)
2. How many males should you have per females? (and do they breed often?)
3. They always seem to be the same/similar color these birds, are there many different breeds? (just a question to make owning these birds a little more interesting)

Hello people, I have a friend who lives in a town, I have chickens and roosters but they wanted the same but cannot because the obvious reasons, not every one wants people living next to them to have roosters ect... so yes you can just have chickens without the roo but they want something that can breed and continue on. So I just wanted to ask you guys a few questions about Guinea fowl. Yes I know all this could be googled but its just better imo to have a convo, have information from people you know. So the questions are... take note I know nothing about these birds.

1. Are Guinea Fowl suitable for a country town? (think noise, space ect..)
2. How many males should you have per females? (and do they breed often?)
3. They always seem to be the same/similar color these birds, are there many different breeds? (just a question to make owning these birds a little more interesting)
Guinea fowl are not appropriate for in town. They make far more noise than a rooster ever thought of.

One cock to one hen is the preferred ratio as they pair up during breeding and laying season. They are seasonal layers usually laying from spring to fall.

Helmeted Guinea Fowl are a single breed but there are many different colors available.

Guinea fowl are not appropriate for in town. They make far more noise than a rooster ever thought of.

One cock to one hen is the preferred ratio as they pair up during breeding and laying season. They are seasonal layers usually laying from spring to fall.

Helmeted Guinea Fowl are a single breed but there are many different colors available.
Yes, I agree with all of this. And I have to add the noise is soo loud. I have 12 guinea fowl and when the equine vet came for my horses yearly visit, all my guineas were outside. But, as soon as they noticed "strange voices" they came back inside and were screaming at the intruders..they were so loud that I had to go into their coop and kick them out and lock their window closed. 😂 just to hear what the vet was saying. We live deep in the woods without many neighbors.

Way back we lived in a small town; just a few blocks from the main street.. A prominent businessman in the neighborhood had a free range flock of about a dozen guineas for many years. They woud roam around through everyone's yards and even jump the fence to the their back yard if there were no dogs. They were noisey and would sometimes dust bathe in a flower bed. It was sort of quaint thoough and everyone either liked them or tolerated them.

Way back we lived in a small town; just a few blocks from the main street.. A prominent businessman in the neighborhood had a free range flock of about a dozen guineas for many years. They woud roam around through everyone's yards and even jump the fence to the their back yard if there were no dogs. They were noisey and would sometimes dust bathe in a flower bed. It was sort of quaint thoough and everyone either liked them or tolerated them.
Oh how great. They were keeping the ticks away. Good Birds.

Back
Top Bottom