Raising toad eggs

Update:

View attachment 3838805

They’re doing well so far. They’re eating the algae off the plant matter that I got from their natural habitat.

It’s me that has the problem, I may have developed a kidney stone.
well, you can't fix that now, but until you recover, I would avoid green vegetables. people say eating well helps you heal, but green vegetables like kale, broccoli, cabbage, and similar produce actually contain a substance that has been known to make kidney stones worse! 😲

you can keep feeding them to your lil tadpoles though :D

Updates:

Sorry I haven’t posted in a while, I’m still dealing with this stone.

IMG_3331.jpeg

IMG_3332.jpeg

They are all still alive, and all still swimming happily. They’re growing, I can already tell.

Hi everyone,

I was requested on another thread to start a thread here where I can tell people about something that happened and update as I go along.

Yesterday, I was photographing frogs and toads. While I was photographing, I saw the biggest western toad I have ever seen. There was a smaller one on top of the bigger one. I concluded that the one on the bottom, the bigger one, was female and the smaller one on the top was male.

View attachment 3833857

I caught them, and the female “delivered.”

View attachment 3833859

I decided to take the eggs home as well as some of the water from the canal, and attempt to raise these eggs into toads, then release them. I figured it would help out the toad population and my garden, because they are good pest controllers.

The exact species is western toad.

Anyway, I will post updates as I go along. I figured it would interest some people.

Regards,

Jared
@tripletfeb, Don't miss out.

IMG_1793.jpeg

If only my female toad would have cooperated this year and gave me some of those 🙄. My male was all for it but of course she was more interested in eating her reflection.

Also, I would pick up some goldfish flakes as well as it contains some protein helping them develop good. Feed that every other feeding with the others being algae pellets or what ever else you have been feeding. And sometimes that is often not mentioned is that the more they grow, the more protein they need. So once you see some decent back leg development I would pick up some frozen bloodworms and add that into the rotation. Just make sure you are doing water changes with dechlorinated water at least twice a week and they should grow up to be healthy little toads!

Last edited:
View attachment 3844048

If only my female toad would have cooperated this year and gave me some of those 🙄. My male was all for it but of course she was more interested in eating her reflection.

Also, I would pick up some goldfish flakes as well as it contains some protein helping them develop good. Feed that every other feeding with the others being algae pellets or what ever else you have been feeding. And sometimes that is often not mentioned is that the more they grow, the more protein they need. So once you see some decent back leg development I would pick up some frozen bloodworms and add that into the rotation. Just make sure you are doing water changes with dechlorinated water at least twice a week and they should grow up to be healthy little toads!

Awesome, thanks for all the information. I deeply appreciate it.

I’m still trying to figure out how to do a water change without accidentally hurting the tadpoles. I think I need a special type of net to scoop them out.

ETA: By the way, how do you care for your toads in winter? Don’t they need to hibernate?

I’m still trying to figure out how to do a water change without accidentally hurting the tadpoles. I think I need a special type of net to scoop them out.
I would use airline tubing to syphon out the water. It is small enough to not allow them to get hurt or sucked in. It takes time but works. When refilling it, i would use the zoomed reptile water conditioner as it is safe and I use it a lot with no issues. Make sure to refill it slowly and that the water is a similar temperature to prevent causing them to go into shock or stress them out.
By the way, how do you care for your toads in winter? Don’t they need to hibernate?
they don’t need to go through brumation (pretty much reptile/amphibian hibernation) but it is need to try and help stimulate breeding.

Do you plan on keeping any of them?

I would use airline tubing to syphon out the water. It is small enough to not allow them to get hurt or sucked in. It takes time but works. When refilling it, i would use the zoomed reptile water conditioner as it is safe and I use it a lot with no issues. Make sure to refill it slowly and that the water is a similar temperature to prevent causing them to go into shock or stress them out.

they don’t need to go through brumation (pretty much reptile/amphibian hibernation) but it is need to try and help stimulate breeding.

Do you plan on keeping any of them?

I was thinking about keeping one at one point, but I know nothing about raising toads. I think I’m gonna pass on it for now. That may change, though.

Back
Top Bottom