Texas

Three hrs ago down in Surfside, TX.

1000006149.jpg

Welcome, ATX! Presume you're in a subdivision with fenced backyard vs rural acreage? TSC has lots of good supplies, depending upon which store you use. Just a few random thoughts about your questions:
--Presume you're constructing your own coop/run and not buying the cheaply made, worthless, pre-made doll house coops from TSC. Good plans, photos, advice, etc here on BYC for building your own coop and run--make that investment up front. Predator protection and shade are priorities in Cen TX. Build bigger than you think you'll need, too.
--Fish pond: great to attract wild birds but also pulls in chicken predators like raccoons, skunks, possums, foxes even in a suburban environment. Also can be high maintenance. Ask me how I know. We have a Frog Pond at our house, not at the barn where the chickens live. We do love the FP, as we're birders, but would not recommend one unless you're outside a typical subdivision environment.
--Our hens drink well water. Our humans drink rainwater (10K gallon rainwater tanks, two of them)
--My chicken run is sand (horse arena sand not playground or beach sand). Easy on the feet, dries relatively quickly, easy to pick out poop.
--Roofing--Metal roof over run is good and provides some protection from weather but my run still gets wet in these rare rain events. Use an appropriate insulation underneath the metal roof, it will be worth the effort/cost. Clear roofing does not provide shade unless it is entirely shaded over by trees throughout the summer.
--Shrubs and plants are great areas for free-ranging chickens to get shade, Shade, SHADE(!), plus windbreaks and hiding from aerial predators. Go native if you are putting in new plantings. Check with your local NPSOT Chapter (Native Plant Society of Texas) for advice on plant selection based on soil, sunlight, height, size. Skip the imported, non-native Chinese and Asian plants from Walmart, HD, Lowes. Herbs are fine but probably take up more space if in the run than provide real benefit for chickens. Plan accordingly.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom