What did you do with your flock today?

Well today I chatted with my chickens while I was planting flowers and tomatoes. We have our daily conversations.
:welcome Welcome to this thread as we are a fun, and sometimes serious group who loves to share life and chicken raising adventures, support each other through hardships, and laugh together, sometimes at each other. Chicken math is a serious subject. One equation not included should be that all named chickens smaller than standard count as one mini. How old are the chicks? Pictures, please?

They are beautiful and growing up so fast. Only time will tell. Do these get the sharp hackle and saddle feathers? What will you do with all these roos?
They will go to a local auction when they get feisty. I got $5-10 each last year for six 3-month-old cockerels and another one sold a few weeks later for $30.
IMG_20230624_092613087.jpg

I don't think they were purchased for soup... bantams aren't very big!
IMG_20230530_172535571~2.jpg

But they sure were pretty! (May 2023)

The two I kept:
IMG_20231004_151452980~2.jpg

Joel (right) was a good roo. He had a seizure and died in January 😢
Samuel (left) started attacking chicks and was culled. 😕

Last edited:
I had the duty of closing in the chickens last night as DH was away for the evening. I had to herd the 2 mo old chicks into the pen. Oh gosh, they are just so cute. Like toddlers who don't want to go to bed. They did not go all the way in the coop while I was out there but just the outdoor portion of it. They were still running around and playing at dusk. :wee :love Wish I had my camera with me. If I do it tonight I'll take a picture. I think this is my favorite age for chicks. They are so curious and full of life.

I had the duty of closing in the chickens last night as DH was away for the evening. I had to herd the 2 mo old chicks into the pen. Oh gosh, they are just so cute. Like toddlers who don't want to go to bed. They did not go all the way in the coop while I was out there but just the outdoor portion of it. They were still running around and playing at dusk. :wee :love Wish I had my camera with me. If I do it tonight I'll take a picture. I think this is my favorite age for chicks. They are so curious and full of life.
Mine will be 6 weeks old on Monday...and I agree, they are cute. They're like a little gang.

Blue band took a wild strawberry from my fingers today, first time!
IMG_20240517_130726019~2.jpg

IMG_20240517_130758880~2.jpg

Purple band left, blue band front, LC right rear ("Little Chick"). One of my hens, Rahab, had similar black coloring on the neck when she was a juvenile.

Mine will be 6 weeks old on Monday...and I agree, they are cute. They're like a little gang.

Blue band took a wild strawberry from my fingers today, first time!
View attachment 3835283
View attachment 3835284
Purple band left, blue band front, LC right rear ("Little Chick"). One of my hens, Rahab, had similar black coloring on the neck when she was a juvenile.
So pretty! Blue band looks almost like a hawk in that pose with those markings!

:welcome Welcome to this thread as we are a fun, and sometimes serious group who loves to share life and chicken raising adventures, support each other through hardships, and laugh together, sometimes at each other. Chicken math is a serious subject. One equation not included should be that all named chickens smaller than standard count as one mini. How old are the chicks? Pictures, please?
Can you convince my DH that my 4 bantams only count as half a chicken each, please? He doesn't believe me when I tell him that :hit

Back
Top Bottom