Any idea what is wrong with my hen?

Henfla

Songster
Apr 29, 2022
Tromsø, Norway
I have a two year old hen. It started three days ago when she was trying to lay an egg in the evening when the others were going to roost for the night. It ended with her not laying an egg, but I could not feel any egg around her vent area, so I concluded with her not being egg bound.

The morning after I went to check on her, and then her crop was not emptied during the night, and she was just standing outside looking a little lethargic, so I concluded she was having an impacted crop and massaged the crop many times that day and gave her some oil, and it was fine again yesterday and she seemed fine all day.

Today she seemed fine this morning, but then I noticed her standing under the same bush for hours while the others were foraging. So I took her with me inside. Her droppings have been normal in consistency and dark green (but they eat grass and stuff) but the last one was white and slimy.
She is still interested in food. Other than that she just stands beside me on the sofa with closed eyes most of the time. Her crop seems like it works like normal now, and she has been eating today because it's half full. I tried to put her in a crate inside, but she refused to be inside the crate so she still has energy to fight like that when she needs to.

I have given her zoolac propaste and some water with vitamins.

I don't understand what is wrong?

I will add some pictures.

20240516_163415.jpg

20240516_162202.jpg

20240516_163512.jpg

How old is she? Does she normally lay eggs often, and all of the shells hard? I would be tempted to give her a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D or a Tums orally. She might be egg bound, trying to pass a lash egg, or be suffering from one of the several reproductive disorders. Her vent looks a bit enlarged.

How old is she? Does she normally lay eggs often, and all of the shells hard? I would be tempted to give her a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D or a Tums orally. She might be egg bound, trying to pass a lash egg, or be suffering from one of the several reproductive disorders. Her vent looks a bit enlarged.
Two years old. I think she lays soft shelled eggs quite regularly, and I think she might have layed a soft shelled egg this night on the roost because this morning I found one under the roosts, and maybe it was her egg because everyone else have been laying in the nest box today. So therefore I think it probably was her egg.
They always have access to shell sand, but she has regulary been laying these soft shelled eggs since she started laying. I have read that mix breeds can do that.

Do you use a layer type feed as the majority of her diet? Is your shell sand crushed oyster shell? I would feed her a human calcium citrate tablet once a day for the next 7 days, to see if that makes a difference in her. Walmarts Equate brand is under $10, and Caltrate is a more expensive brand name. Aim for 300-600 mg of calcium daily. Laying soft shells could be a calcium deficiency or a shell gland problem in her oviduct. The risk of soft egg shells is that they are harder to lay, and may become stuck or break inside causing infection.

Do you use a layer type feed as the majority of her diet? Is your shell sand crushed oyster shell? I would feed her a human calcium citrate tablet once a day for the next 7 days, to see if that makes a difference in her. Walmarts Equate brand is under $10, and Caltrate is a more expensive brand name. Aim for 300-600 mg of calcium daily. Laying soft shells could be a calcium deficiency or a shell gland problem in her oviduct. The risk of soft egg shells is that they are harder to lay, and may become stuck or break inside causing infection.
No they get this feed made for flocks with rooster and hens. Many people use this without any problems and the other eggs have calcium deposits almost every day so it's not the calcium that is the problem. That is why they get the shell sand too, so that they can regulate their own intake. The shell sand is crushed shells, yes. It is made specifically for chickens.

Sorry I don't live in USA so we don't have walmart. But I will see if I can drive to a pharmacy and find some calcium.

Just wanted to update in case anyone googles and find this thread later.
My conclusion is that she had an partially impacted crop. Not egg bound. So I kept massaging her crop and gave her some yoghurt, and now she is completely healthy.

Back
Top Bottom