Blue Laced Red...Where do I start??

GEM01

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 21, 2013
Bury, Lancashire UK
I am wanting to start my own project of breeding Blue Laced Reds.
My question is, if there is no blue laced reds within a particular breed but there are blues, gold laced, silver laced, buff laced, what colour(s) do I need to start with and what do I need to cross next?

I have read a couple of sites online but I started to get lost. I known that a good example only comes with breeding the right birds showing the right shades of red etc.

Please, any help would be welcomed. Thank you xx

Quote:
if those are the only colors you can have, then the mating will be as follows Blue x Gold Laced this cross will give 100% blues, take the best F1 and mate it back to Gold Laced parent, this cross will give you the following, if you hatch say 60 eggs 15 chicks will be solid black(culls) 15 chicks will be solid blue(culls) 15 chicks will be gold laced(culls) 15 chicks will be blue laced gold(gold/red) these chicks are the keepers, you can continue with this blue laced gold chicks and introduce red enhancers at a later time to make them even reder

Thank you. Does it matter which sex is the blue and which is the gold laced when you start off or is it Blue male x gold laced female?
Quote:
if those are the only colors you can have, then the mating will be as follows Blue x Gold Laced this cross will give 100% blues, take the best F1 and mate it back to Gold Laced parent, this cross will give you the following, if you hatch say 60 eggs 15 chicks will be solid black(culls) 15 chicks will be solid blue(culls) 15 chicks will be gold laced(culls) 15 chicks will be blue laced gold(gold/red) these chicks are the keepers, you can continue with this blue laced gold chicks and introduce red enhancers at a later time to make them even reder

Last edited:
Quote:
seeing how some blues are based on silver(as are the silver laced birds) I would Suggest to use a Gold Laced rooster over a Silver Female, that way the gold will be transferred to the Females and you can cross this blue gold based females back to gold laced roosters

Quote:
seeing how some blues are based on silver(as are the silver laced birds) I would Suggest to use a Gold Laced rooster over a Silver Female, that way the gold will be transferred to the Females and you can cross this blue gold based females back to gold laced roosters
Thank you so much. You have been a great help. You mention in the original advice about red enhancers, would this be introducing darker than standard gold laced birds to then darken the blue laced red or would this be obtained another way? So sorry for the basic questions x I just want to make sure I have a plan before I begin :)

Actually, I have investigated further and there is a deep red colour in the breed but they are rare and hard to get hold so there is a possibility to add this into the colour once the rest has been done. Thank you

Thank you so much. You have been a great help.

You mention in the original advice about red enhancers, would this be introducing darker than standard gold laced birds to then darken the blue laced red or would this be obtained another way? So sorry for the basic questions x I just want to make sure I have a plan before I begin
smile.png
that would be the way to do it, use the Red ones instead of the "Gold" ones,

Back
Top Bottom