Broad breasted white turkeys as pets!!

Kaleigreenlaw

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2020
So I got 2 Broad breasted white turkeys without knowing the breed or much about them until after I had them. I love them so much already and they are so sweet and cuddly!! I know there is some ways to try and keep them healthy as in putting them on certain diets and free ranging, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them as pets and any information or tips or anything would be appreciated!! Thank you!!

Attachments

• 5AE2972A-3716-45C7-BE86-8F7ECED4FDC3.jpeg
    5AE2972A-3716-45C7-BE86-8F7ECED4FDC3.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 30
I have had 4 broad breasted turkeys as pets, by accident. They are such friendly turkeys. I really loved them. Mine did fairly well free ranging. Unfortunately a predator got all but one of mine. The one that wasn’t taken by a predator was ironically one that had an injured leg from the time she was a baby. Her leg just got worse and worse until she passed a little younger than a year old. The others stuck around for a year or so and showed no sign of health issues before the predator incident. I don’t know if my turkey with the injured leg’s issue was due to it being a broad breasted or not. I can say I really really enjoyed having them while I did though. Mine were very people-oriented.
When I did feed mine, I scattered the food as opposed to putting it in a trough or bowl. It’s the same way I do for my chickens. It makes them work for it a bit more, which is also good for them

I did my fair share of research on them too, when I had them. I do recall seeing some people that had them live comfortably as pets for a few years and it helped put my mind at ease.

Back
Top Bottom