Bunny vs pigeon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve heard that you shouldn’t keep pigeons indoors, there’s a a condition called pigeon keeper’s lung. You can keep rabbits indoors, they can learn to use a litter box. (If you are thinking of an indoor pet)

I’ve heard that you shouldn’t keep pigeons indoors, there’s a a condition called pigeon keeper’s lung. You can keep rabbits indoors, they can learn to use a litter box. (If you are thinking of an indoor pet)
If I get a rabbit is it okay for it to stay outdoors in a 2ft x 6ft enclosure? Are rabbits okay inside an enclosure most of the day? I plan to bring her indoors when I’m home from work.

I think so. When I’ve had rabbits years ago, they lived in cages. Some people have house rabbits that are allowed to hop around the house. They do go potty in one place, so can learn to use a litter box. I imagine more rabbit people who currently keep them will join this thread and tell you about their set-ups….🐇

They're both very different animals. Generally, pigeons make better outdoor pets while rabbits make better indoor pets. They can both be kept either indoors or outdoors, but there are many reasons that make indoor rabbits a better choice then outdoors (see below).

I don't know much about pigeon keeping, though they are very intelligent and you can definitely form a bond with them. Having a pet rabbit would be more like having a cat or dog though.
It really depends on what you're looking for in a pet. Both have their own unique care requirements, which means it's important to do research on both. Neither are really lap pets. A rabbit may tolerate or enjoy being a lap pet, but some prefer to do their own thing.
If I get a rabbit is it okay for it to stay outdoors in a 2ft x 6ft enclosure? Are rabbits okay inside an enclosure most of the day? I plan to bring her indoors when I’m home from work.
Rabbits should really have at least 4 hours of free roaming time a day. They are crepuscular, meaning they're most active during mornings and evenings, but they still need space during the day.
While it is very common for rabbits to be kept outdoors, if you're wanting a lap pet then a house rabbit would be a better choice.
A few reasons not to keep them outdoors:
Predators. Even urban backyards can have predators that are dangerous to rabbits. While a fully predator proofed enclosure can help, it is common for rabbits to die of a heart attack due to predators attempting to get in.
Weather. Rabbits are fairly cold hardy, but heat can be dangerous. There are ways you can help keep them cool in the summer, but keeping them indoors eliminates that worry.
Enclosure size. Most hutches are much too small for a rabbit to be living in, especially when you provide a litter box, hides, toys, etc. Yet they're also ridiculously expensive despite their size and low quality. DIY enclosures can be made, but to make them large enough, predator proofed, and keep them cool in the summer is also quite expensive.

Indoor enclosures are much safer, allow for more space, and can be setup for less than the price of a hutch. The main things you'll need are a large wire playpen, a cat sized litter box, a rug to protect floors or carpet, and some hides. Things like toys and hides can often be made with household items, and a nice sized pen can be purchased for around $40.
With quality hay, toys, and bunny proofing, rabbits can be safely free roamed. This cam be very beneficial for their health, since it allows for more space to exercise and explore. If you adopt a spayed/neutered rabbit then potty training can be very easy. As long as the rabbit is being cleaned up after there is little to no smell.

I've already written a novel here, but if you'd like more information on rabbit care I'd be happy to provide it. Hopefully others will be able to share more on pigeon care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom