Future egg color question

nflchickengirl

Songster
7 Years
Jun 13, 2016
So we have a cream legbar roo and have crossed and hatched out with hens that lay:

Brown eggs (varying from light to dark)
Green eggs (olive egger)
And white eggs.

What kind of egg colored eggs can we expect from them as they get older?

I thought:
Creme legbar roo blue x brown egg hen= green
Blue egg rooster x green egg = spearmint green egg
Blue egg roo x white egg hen= blue egg.

Am I on the right track in my thoughts?

So far all 3 chicks hatched are black with gold spots on the head and wings. So assuming they were from my olive eggers who ended being brown egg layers 😂

Unless it has happened very recently the Cream Legbar is not an approved breed by the APA in the US. Cream Legbar have been approved in the UK for a lot of years. In the UK, the Standard of Perfection allows blue or green eggs. One group trying to get them approved in the US proposes they be allowed to lay either blue or green eggs, same as in the UK. What I'm trying to get to is that I would not automatically assume he has the genetics for only blue eggs. He could have genetics for green and still be a Cream Legbar.

Yes, you are on the right track if he has only blue. I don't know that you will always get a spearmint green egg crossing blue with any green egg, that will depend on what brown is in that green to start with and what gets inherited.

If he has the genetics for green eggs then you will probably get nothing but green eggs, though again it depends on which brown genes get inherited. You could possibly get some blue eggs with a white egg layer or bleu egg layer if the pullet does not inherit the brown genes.

You will have to wait until they lay to be sure. To misquote Forrest Gump, life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you will get when you open it.

Hmm this is his first sets of babies so it will be interesting to see for sure!
Thank you for the insight!

Unless it has happened very recently the Cream Legbar is not an approved breed by the APA in the US. Cream Legbar have been approved in the UK for a lot of years. In the UK, the Standard of Perfection allows blue or green eggs. One group trying to get them approved in the US proposes they be allowed to lay either blue or green eggs, same as in the UK. What I'm trying to get to is that I would not automatically assume he has the genetics for only blue eggs. He could have genetics for green and still be a Cream Legbar.

Yes, you are on the right track if he has only blue. I don't know that you will always get a spearmint green egg crossing blue with any green egg, that will depend on what brown is in that green to start with and what gets inherited.

If he has the genetics for green eggs then you will probably get nothing but green eggs, though again it depends on which brown genes get inherited. You could possibly get some blue eggs with a white egg layer or bleu egg layer if the pullet does not inherit the brown genes.

You will have to wait until they lay to be sure. To misquote Forrest Gump, life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you will get when you open it.

Back
Top Bottom