Growing my little flock

Pics
OMG this year continues to kick my butt in weird ways! Things were calming down. My husband is working on a new bachelor flock setup, Tengu and Squeak are starting to settle out with see-but-no-touch, Goober is periodically revenge-pooping on Squeak WHY IS HE SO WEIRD being himself, and Vanilla Bean is actually quite happy being back by himself as he gets attention from me each day. That's all still the case, but...

HOLY SMOKES Coco just went full broody and she is SO MEAN! Mean mean mean mean! Still a darling with me, but anything chicken-shaped better run. Scruffy was the opposite - she's actually become a very gentle broody despite being otherwise feisty. Unfortunately Coco doesn't want to tolerate another broody in any of the nest boxes, so Scruffy moving doesn't resolve it. Junior seems completely unsure what to do about this. I let Monster try to wade in and break it up for a bit, but Coco is relentless and Monster was starting to panic and get a bit rough since they're basically the same size (so for him it's a bit like trying to fight another rooster), so I'm going to have to broody break her for a few days and then decide whether to try her back with the main flock or see if she'd like to go back to Vanilla Bean. I had in mind that I might move her back with him anyway once there were some other pullets but maybe I'll have to switch that around.

Also got Harley and Raven making broody noises now...blergh. When it rains it pours I guess. Might have to worry about Harley following through. Surely not Raven though. I'm not sure it's even possible for Raven to do the broody thing, since she has so far completely rejected the concept of a nest (I still retrieve a little green egg from Raven's private parking spot on the floor each day...).

OMG this year continues to kick my butt in weird ways! Things were calming down. My husband is working on a new bachelor flock setup, Tengu and Squeak are starting to settle out with see-but-no-touch, Goober is periodically revenge-pooping on Squeak WHY IS HE SO WEIRD being himself, and Vanilla Bean is actually quite happy being back by himself as he gets attention from me each day. That's all still the case, but...

HOLY SMOKES Coco just went full broody and she is SO MEAN! Mean mean mean mean! Still a darling with me, but anything chicken-shaped better run. Scruffy was the opposite - she's actually become a very gentle broody despite being otherwise feisty. Unfortunately Coco doesn't want to tolerate another broody in any of the nest boxes, so Scruffy moving doesn't resolve it. Junior seems completely unsure what to do about this. I let Monster try to wade in and break it up for a bit, but Coco is relentless and Monster was starting to panic and get a bit rough since they're basically the same size (so for him it's a bit like trying to fight another rooster), so I'm going to have to broody break her for a few days and then decide whether to try her back with the main flock or see if she'd like to go back to Vanilla Bean. I had in mind that I might move her back with him anyway once there were some other pullets but maybe I'll have to switch that around.

Also got Harley and Raven making broody noises now...blergh. When it rains it pours I guess. Might have to worry about Harley following through. Surely not Raven though. I'm not sure it's even possible for Raven to do the broody thing, since she has so far completely rejected the concept of a nest (I still retrieve a little green egg from Raven's private parking spot on the floor each day...).
Chicken Drama, like a Soap Opera...
:gig

Back
Top Bottom