Help hatching Duck Eggs

DuckyDarla

Hatching
May 4, 2024
So a very weird hatching story:

We rescued these eggs from a neighbor who clearly wasn’t really caring for them. He had them outside in a barn, he believes they are to be around day 20 in the egg cycle. Unfortunately an animal got in somehow (we assume skunk because of the smell) and ate some of the eggs. When we saw that some eggs were left we immediately took them and put them in our incubator (he knows, he didn’t mind at all). Our first worry was to get them warm because when we grabbed them they were so cold because he did not know how long the lid was off from the time the animal attacked to the time he found them. But with the 4 eggs that were left we kept them warm for 24 hours and took them out and candled them. We very much know nothing about ducks but we knew we could care a lot more for the little guys. But to us it looked like they were around day 23.
Facetune_04-05-2024-12-18-40.jpeg
IMG_9439.jpeg
sorry didn’t realize how blurry until after taking!!!

But we were so shocked to see movement from 2 of the eggs because we assumed they would have all been lost due to the cold. But since then we have not taken them out to candle again because we assume they should be on lockdown. We did give them a light far away spray of water because we read that was helpful. But other than that they have been in 99 degrees with a humidity fluctuating 65-70.

It has been four days since then and we have flashed a light into the incubator and we noticed that the air sac on the two eggs looks like they have gotten bigger. ( all 4 eggs are still in the incubator just in case) however we have noticed when we flash the light the movement inside the eggs is a lot less, kind of looks like a heart beat now just a pulse. No pipping has been done internal or external because we can’t see the beak or any cracks in the shell. I assume they may be late bloomers because of all the trauma they went through (also stinks that we don’t exactly know what day they are on). But I can’t help but think we are doing something wrong. And I would hate to put them through even more stress than they already have been.

Any advice/feedback helps!!

Back
Top Bottom