Is anyone working on a blue egg laying silkies project?

Here are two of the cute frizzled laced satins that hatched out of blue eggs. (Sorry I said silkies above but these two are satin silkies) And there is a picture of a partridge silkie that hatched out of the same batch, so all 3 are from the same mom. So I’m not sure I would want to breed them together. And their dad doesn’t have the blue egg gene so I’m hoping that the girls inherited it from their mom. They are from Akers Farm in Florida.

Then I have 2 lavender ameraucana bantams that are about 6 weeks old (a pullet and a cockerel) and also the newly hatched black chick which is a cross of silkie and ameraucana bantam. They are from Norsk Farms in VA. I tried to get silkie EE eggs twice but it didn’t work out (the shipped eggs have been so beat up by usps this year, it has been awful!!!) I did get one chick though that is a cross between marans and silkied EE so she will lay an olive egg and could have babies with silkie feathers if bred to a silkie. But yeah because of usps it is going to be even more slow going than I originally thought!

I have a dream of having lavender silkies so if I need to start with the lav bantams that would work to fulfill two purposes - adding the lav gene and adding the blue egg gene. The blue eggs that they hatched out of aren’t super bright blue but maybe I could work on that further down the line.

I’d love to hear about your project when you start on it!!

Attachments

• IMG_8312.jpeg
    IMG_8312.jpeg
    935.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8317.jpeg
    IMG_8317.jpeg
    552.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8564.jpeg
    IMG_8564.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8302.jpeg
    IMG_8302.jpeg
    319 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8292.jpeg
    IMG_8292.jpeg
    593.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8318.jpeg
    IMG_8318.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 0
Do you have pictures of the birds you're using for your project? I'm trying to get ideas, lol. I would like them to look visually appealing and somewhat the same across the hatches but am unsure of what direction to take this regarding what breeds to use and which direction....male silkie to female Easter eggers? Maybe a crested cream legbars? Do CCLs come in bantam size too? I was thinking maybe something lavender would be cool? Or maybe a mottled or paint variety?
Your idea of using a male silkie over females of the blue egg breeds is very smart, as I recently found out that fibro Roos over light skinned hens create sex linked offspring, with the females retaining the dark skin. So that is a great starting place in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom