Mama duck with babies laying eggs again

We thought about doing this, but worried that they might drown, or that the Mama duck wouldn’t have anything to do with them. I didn’t look in on them last night because they had water and food. Today I had a dental appt and then we went to Tractor Supply Company to buy the duckling crumbles. When we got home later this afternoon we took the crumbles and water out to the boat to check on them. They were gone, and the nest was a little disheveled. Mama duck was swimming around the boat. So, we don’t know what happened to the little ducklings. Either they were somehow moved by Mama, or they were picked off by a bird of prey if they wandered out of the covered area into the open cockpit, which is where the food and water was set up. There was not enough room to set up food and water in the small covered area where the nest is. There was no evidence of them being picked off, but we’re at a loss as to where they are. We’ll look around our yard and the neighbor’s yard and watch the boat ramp road to see if she guides them down the boat ramp into the water. The boat ramp road is right next to our property. So, for now we don’t have the three little ducklings, only 5 eggs that haven’t hatched. I’ll continue to set out water and crumbles in case Mama comes back to sit on the nest. I wish I knew where the ducklings are or if they survived. I hope they’re alright.
So sorry to hear that they are gone. More than likely a bird of prey got them. If you have cranes in your area they are notorious for picking them off along with hawks, owls and crows. I would say with Momma being without them that something got them. Hopefully she will not hatch anything else out because the same thing will more than likely happen. Thank you for looking out for them like you did and being concerned about them. You did your best for a Momma duck that made a bad decision on where to build a nest.

She has no way to move her nest or her eggs. I do believe her ducklings would be swimming with her if they were okay. What could climb into your boat a raccoon? A cat? A flying predator as tiny as they were nothing would be left behind. Herons are also known to eat ducklings. I hope you find the answer please be sure to let us know. Mama may have been stressed about her ducklings and scared if a predator got them could be one reason she was swimming around in the water and not on her eggs. This means if a predator it will probably be back sad to say.
It’s really puzzling. There’s no evidence that they were attacked and killed on the boat. The boat is high up on the lift, so raccoons or even a cat would have a hard time getting into the boat. We checked last night, and the nest has not been sat on, and the crumbles and water have not been touched. We’ll check again this morning. How long can the eggs last without Mama sitting on them? If she has abandoned the nest, what should we do with the eggs? The two drakes are around, but I don’t see Mama, so maybe she’s sitting on the nest. We’ll look soon.

So sorry to hear that they are gone. More than likely a bird of prey got them. If you have cranes in your area they are notorious for picking them off along with hawks, owls and crows. I would say with Momma being without them that something got them. Hopefully she will not hatch anything else out because the same thing will more than likely happen. Thank you for looking out for them like you did and being concerned about them. You did your best for a Momma duck that made a bad decision on where to build a nest.
Thanks. I wish I had done more, but it was a learning experience for me. If she has abandoned her nest, what should I do with the eggs?

You can get an incubator and try to finish incubation or bury them. They won't live long with out heat to help them finish. First candle take an LED flash light go to a dark area in the boat if you have one or put a towel over your head but to candle place the flash light on the fat end of the egg if there is life and almost ready to hatch there won't be much to see the egg will be full of duckling so dark inside all but the air sac if they have a way to go you'll see veins and maybe even movement if they are still alive.
this will show you what your looking at when you candle.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/candling-pictures.html

Something has scared mama off the nest. Very strange the eggs haven't been eaten or broken up.

It’s really puzzling. There’s no evidence that they were attacked and killed on the boat. The boat is high up on the lift, so raccoons or even a cat would have a hard time getting into the boat. We checked last night, and the nest has not been sat on, and the crumbles and water have not been touched. We’ll check again this morning. How long can the eggs last without Mama sitting on them? If she has abandoned the nest, what should we do with the eggs? The two drakes are around, but I don’t see Mama, so maybe she’s sitting on the nest. We’ll look soon.
If it was a flying predator you would not see any evidence of a struggle. They just swoop down, snatch and grab. This time of the year they are feeding their own babies and show no mercy to little ones. I would bet that is what happened. If Mamma duck is not around then she knows they are gone and will not return more than likely to try to hatch anymore. Your choices would be to try to incubate the remaining eggs but some wildlife places will not take Mallard ducklings so you could be stuck with them. Otherwise you can discard them and know that you at least tried to save the ones that hatched. They can last up to at least a day being uncovered, at least I have had some that did. Good luck with your decision.

If it was a flying predator you would not see any evidence of a struggle. They just swoop down, snatch and grab. This time of the year they are feeding their own babies and show no mercy to little ones. I would bet that is what happened. If Mamma duck is not around then she knows they are gone and will not return more than likely to try to hatch anymore. Your choices would be to try to incubate the remaining eggs but some wildlife places will not take Mallard ducklings so you could be stuck with them. Otherwise you can discard them and know that you at least tried to save the ones that hatched. They can last up to at least a day being uncovered, at least I have had some that did. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for your reply. A neighbor said he saw an osprey in one of our cedar trees. That osprey tried to build a nest in our trawler boat, but my husband says he abandoned the effort. The trawler is opposite our smaller boat at the end of our pier. The osprey flies over our pier and yard all the time and sits atop our neighbor’s flag pole, so he is very aware of what is going on in our boats. We think the osprey got the baby ducklings and scared Mama so she won’t go back on the nest. There is evidence that something has broken or eaten some of the eggs. We can’t see how many eggs are left in the nest, but think it may be two or three now. There is yellow egg yolk on the deck of the boat near the nest. We are going to clean up the nest and boat deck tomorrow if Mama has not returned to the nest. She was with her two male duck friends swimming around the boat and sleeping on the pier today, but no evidence that she was in the boat or on the nest. So the remaining eggs have probably not been sat on for two or three days now. Should I take the nest and remaining eggs out of the boat and move them to our yard? They will not have the safest place there because there’s really no place to hide them, but at least they’ll be available to her if she wants to sit on the nest. If I decide to discard them, what would I do with them? Is this a fair thing to do? I feel bad for the Mama duck loosing three of her ducklings and possible all of her remaining eggs. If she witnessed the ducklings being snatched by the osprey or other bird of prey, I can understand why she doesn’t want to go back on the nest in the boat. Maybe she would sit on the nest if it wasn’t in the boat. Do you think the eggs are still viable after two or three days of not being sat on by Mama duck?

Thanks for your reply. A neighbor said he saw an osprey in one of our cedar trees. That osprey tried to build a nest in our trawler boat, but my husband says he abandoned the effort. The trawler is opposite our smaller boat at the end of our pier. The osprey flies over our pier and yard all the time and sits atop our neighbor’s flag pole, so he is very aware of what is going on in our boats. We think the osprey got the baby ducklings and scared Mama so she won’t go back on the nest. There is evidence that something has broken or eaten some of the eggs. We can’t see how many eggs are left in the nest, but think it may be two or three now. There is yellow egg yolk on the deck of the boat near the nest. We are going to clean up the nest and boat deck tomorrow if Mama has not returned to the nest. She was with her two male duck friends swimming around the boat and sleeping on the pier today, but no evidence that she was in the boat or on the nest. So the remaining eggs have probably not been sat on for two or three days now. Should I take the nest and remaining eggs out of the boat and move them to our yard? They will not have the safest place there because there’s really no place to hide them, but at least they’ll be available to her if she wants to sit on the nest. If I decide to discard them, what would I do with them? Is this a fair thing to do? I feel bad for the Mama duck loosing three of her ducklings and possible all of her remaining eggs. If she witnessed the ducklings being snatched by the osprey or other bird of prey, I can understand why she doesn’t want to go back on the nest in the boat. Maybe she would sit on the nest if it wasn’t in the boat. Do you think the eggs are still viable after two or three days of not being sat on by Mama duck?
After being left that long I would think that the other eggs would not hatch and usually when you move a nest the Mother bird will abandon it. I don't see her coming to her eggs in a different site. I put my discarded eggs in a strong plastic bag, tie it shut tight and they go in the garbage. That way nothing comes along trying to get at them and if they would explode they will be in the bag until trash day. Usually I do it the day before trash day in fact. I am sorry for outcome on all of this but at least you tried your best. It is good that you were able to do all you did for the little ones while they were with you. You are most welcome.

After being left that long I would think that the other eggs would not hatch and usually when you move a nest the Mother bird will abandon it. I don't see her coming to her eggs in a different site. I put my discarded eggs in a strong plastic bag, tie it shut tight and they go in the garbage. That way nothing comes along trying to get at them and if they would explode they will be in the bag until trash day. Usually I do it the day before trash day in fact. I am sorry for outcome on all of this but at least you tried your best. It is good that you were able to do all you did for the little ones while they were with you. You are most welcome.
Thank you for all your information. We are going to clean up the boat today, and if there are any eggs left, we’ll dispose of them the way you do. The three ducks (Mama and her two male friends) are in our yard, so I guess this is home base for them. I think Mama is still trying to stay close to her nest. I’ll let you know what the situation is inside the boat. We will clean it up and disinfect the surfaces and take the cushion covers off that are in the cuddly cabin where her nest was and wash them. I guess we need to be careful not to get any germs or diseases from the ducks and all the residue they left behind. The boat is a mess, and my husband is anxious to clean it up, so rubber gloves and masks will be on.

Thank you for all your information. We are going to clean up the boat today, and if there are any eggs left, we’ll dispose of them the way you do. The three ducks (Mama and her two male friends) are in our yard, so I guess this is home base for them. I think Mama is still trying to stay close to her nest. I’ll let you know what the situation is inside the boat. We will clean it up and disinfect the surfaces and take the cushion covers off that are in the cuddly cabin where her nest was and wash them. I guess we need to be careful not to get any germs or diseases from the ducks and all the residue they left behind. The boat is a mess, and my husband is anxious to clean it up, so rubber gloves and masks will be on.
You are most welcome and maybe next time you can get some cheap bird netting to put over any area where a bird may make a big mistake and decide to nest. I have to use it in the top of my carport where they always want to hatch out baby birds. It works well and will keep them at bay. Good luck with your clean up and what you are doing and using is good, always protect yourselves.

You are most welcome and maybe next time you can get some cheap bird netting to put over any area where a bird may make a big mistake and decide to nest. I have to use it in the top of my carport where they always want to hatch out baby birds. It works well and will keep them at bay. Good luck with your clean up and what you are doing and using is good, always protect yourselves.
There were only two eggs left that weren’t cracked open. Mama has not been on the nest, so something else got to the eggs. I decided to dispose of the eggs in the river. The cracked ones went to the bottom, and the other two did too, with a little help from our crab net. I figured the eggs could feed something on the bottom. I gave the duck crumbles to a neighbor who has chickens. The 18% protein amount is fine for chickens according to what I read. The boat is a mess, but we’re working on it the rest of the day. We will devise a net for the cockpit as we don’t have full canvas for the boat. Hopefully this will discourage nesting. Too stressful for the Mama duck, the ducklings, and me.

Back
Top Bottom