Mix Bielefelder and Barnevelder

Wow! Their color is really pretty. I like that it looks like some of the lacing came through.

My chicks range in age from 5 weeks down to 2 weeks. My first two hatched 4/20- one male (MJ) and one female (Pimento). The female has the dark chipmunk stripe on body and head. Neither chick had a white spot on their head.
IMG_7749~photo-full.jpg

IMG_7739~photo.JPG

More recent pics. Pimento is on top and MJ's comb leaves little room for doubt. Plus you can see his barring.
2024.05.27 Pimento MJ 01.jpg

This is Pimento the female:
2024.05.27 Pimento 01.jpg

I hatched another chick, Churchhill, the following week. Churchill looked more like MJ in that the down color was less distinct, the patterning more muddled, and overall lighter colors.
I suspected Church was male based on the color and also his personality. Here is Churchill as a chick:
IMG_8258.jpeg

And Church now @ almost 4 weeks (all boy!)
IMG_9054.jpeg

IMG_9055.jpeg

I have 3 more chicks… they’re with my broody and are about 2 weeks old. One hatched darker, with distinct chipmunk stripes like Pimento (so suspected female). One hatched yellow with muddled grey like MJ & Church (so suspected male). One hatched almost solid yellow, but has developed more muddled grey as it got older, so also suspected male. Comb check today suggests I’m right, but a little more time is needed to be confident.
IMG_9034.jpeg

IMG_9026.jpeg

Wow! Their color is really pretty. I like that it looks like some of the lacing came through.

My chicks range in age from 5 weeks down to 2 weeks. My first two hatched 4/20- one male (MJ) and one female (Pimento). The female has the dark chipmunk stripe on body and head. Neither chick had a white spot on their head.
View attachment 3847938
View attachment 3847943
More recent pics. Pimento is on top and MJ's comb leaves little room for doubt. Plus you can see his barring.
View attachment 3847954
This is Pimento the female:
View attachment 3847953

I hatched another chick, Churchhill, the following week. Churchill looked more like MJ in that the down color was less distinct, the patterning more muddled, and overall lighter colors.
I suspected Church was male based on the color and also his personality. Here is Churchill as a chick:
View attachment 3848764
And Church now @ almost 4 weeks (all boy!)
View attachment 3848766
View attachment 3848767

I have 3 more chicks… they’re with my broody and are about 2 weeks old. One hatched darker, with distinct chipmunk stripes like Pimento (so suspected female). One hatched yellow with muddled grey like MJ & Church (so suspected male). One hatched almost solid yellow, but has developed more muddled grey as it got older, so also suspected male. Comb check today suggests I’m right, but a little more time is needed to be confident.
View attachment 3848768
View attachment 3848769

They look beautifull i am really curious how they will look fully grown. Indeed with the lacing especialy on 1 hen the lacing came through. I see you have as well a Barnevelder chick walking around. I live about 15 minutes drive from the town of Barneveld where they originaly from.

They look beautifull i am really curious how they will look fully grown. Indeed with the lacing especialy on 1 hen the lacing came through. I see you have as well a Barnevelder chick walking around. I live about 15 minutes drive from the town of Barneveld where they originaly from.
That’s really cool. I bet you have some of the nicest Barnies around being so close to their origin. Mine are just from hatcheries here in the US and most don’t have great double lacing like I see pics of. The 4 chicks I just got are blue Barnevelders, so Im especially curious how they will look:

IMG_9052.jpeg

I have noticed when I look into sex link or auto-sexing chicks and even when I buy some that the lighter and less patterned tend to be males and it seems to be true for both

RogierSt and Fluster Cluck Acres own mixed breed batches.​

I can agree on that one. It is now like most of the time the case as well with these mixed breed chicks. I had it as well before with other sex linked chicks.

That’s really cool. I bet you have some of the nicest Barnies around being so close to their origin. Mine are just from hatcheries here in the US and most don’t have great double lacing like I see pics of. The 4 chicks I just got are blue Barnevelders, so Im especially curious how they will look:

View attachment 3848982
That is a nice looking one. I did not have a blue laced Barnevelder yet. I really do like them and actualy they are already a few years on the wish list. But until now i did not found a breeder who is willing to sell them as day old chicks.

That is a nice looking one. I did not have a blue laced Barnevelder yet. I really do like them and actualy they are already a few years on the wish list. But until now i did not found a breeder who is willing to sell them as day old chicks.
I didn't realize we had a hatchery here in the US that sold them. In fact, when I saw it on the feed store's list, I thought it was a typo, haha. I did have to drive about an hour away to get them. They have never been avaialble at any of my nerby feed stores. I got 4 of them. One turned out to be a "oopsie" cockerel. But what's interesting is that all 3 pullets look very different from one another. I'm curious if that means they'll look different as adults or if they'll all feather in with the same colors as adults. The one pictured above is Misty, and she is by far the most beautiful with the largest amount of blue.

I also have a silver double laced Barnevelder cockerel. I was planning to grow him out and keep him either in my mixed flock or make a Barnie flock, but now that I have 2 Barnie cockerels I think I'll have to see which one I like the most.

Back
Top Bottom