New silkie mama smothering babies? Help!

smvettechmom

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2014
Roseburg oregon
My silkie mama recently hatched two babies. Within two days she had smothered one and one had somehow gotten away from her and got too cold I’m guessing. She just hatched two more and I’m trying to see what would be best. She has a light in a coop with a box to lay in with her babies. Should I put them away from the other chickens or just hope that was a fluke? I attached a pic of our current set up. There is a light above. The coop continues to the right where we have another silkie and a rooster but they don’t appear to be messing with her or the babies. My daughter was devastated when the first two died, I want to give these babies the best chance to thrive! Thank you for reading and your help!❤️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 12
Hmm. I'm not an expert yet, but my broody has raised chicks four times, and this time she's done it completely in with her flockmates (six other hens plus rooster).

If she's losing babies/they are wandering, that sounds like a complication of a staggered hatch. Essentially she's trying to hatch ALL of the eggs but the older babies need food and water and are ready to explore, and she is too dedicated to leave the unhatched eggs to look after the babies properly. I'd try to solve this by putting chick safe food and water within reach of mama and chicks.

Smothering I have never seen, but crushed babies I have (momma moves clumsily or someone moves her and a foot ends up on a still helpless baby). Best suggestion, if this could be what happened, is to put up dividers between her and the rest of flock and to make sure she isn't forced to move her feet / removed from her nest at all while hatching is in progress.

That's just what I would try!! Best of luck with your broody!!

Hmm. I'm not an expert yet, but my broody has raised chicks four times, and this time she's done it completely in with her flockmates (six other hens plus rooster).

If she's losing babies/they are wandering, that sounds like a complication of a staggered hatch. Essentially she's trying to hatch ALL of the eggs but the older babies need food and water and are ready to explore, and she is too dedicated to leave the unhatched eggs to look after the babies properly. I'd try to solve this by putting chick safe food and water within reach of mama and chicks.

Smothering I have never seen, but crushed babies I have (momma moves clumsily or someone moves her and a foot ends up on a still helpless baby). Best suggestion, if this could be what happened, is to put up dividers between her and the rest of flock and to make sure she isn't forced to move her feet / removed from her nest at all while hatching is in progress.

That's just what I would try!! Best of luck with your broody!!
She hatched out three new babies today and we added the border to keep her enclosed so fingers crossed? Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom