New to the Chicken Crew! Please help- breed and sexing!

emmaro

Hatching
May 19, 2024
Hi! I am a new backyard chicken homesteader and am so excited to learn and raise chickens!
I acquired these babies a couple weeks ago from a friend who was trying to rehome them after being used in the classroom at their school. They knew I had just made a coup and was about to get some chicks so I took them in!

…. Only problem is I have no idea breed or sex! I think it’s pretty obvious I have 2 Roos 😭 and after some research I have landed on leghorn??

The only reason I still have questions are because:

1) are they actually leghorns? In one of the pictures I have circled the ear area which looks like it’s turning red, which I read means maybe no on the leghorn front. In which case I am stumped!

2) the picture with the circle around the comb. Seems like a roo? But (and the picture doesn’t show it well) the comb is not as red and the waddle is not as well defined as the other ones I am assuming are Roos. If leghorn is the breed, then is it too early to tell based on combs since they are known to have big ones??

Please help a girl out. Google confused the heck outta me!

I am also told they are about 6 weeks??
IMG_4940.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4944.jpeg
    IMG_4944.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 6
I’m also confused on the leghorn idea because the ones that appear to be hens have pretty yellow combs

They do look quite like leghorns, with those giant combs. You have three cockerels and three pullets. The pullets' combs will be yellow until they get to point of lay, which will likely be around five months old.

They do look quite like leghorns, with those giant combs. You have three cockerels and three pullets. The pullets' combs will be yellow until they get to point of lay, which will likely be around five months old.
Okay that makes sense!! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom