No use of legs

Treat-Lady

Hatching
May 4, 2024
A 2 year-old Silkie (Gloria) yesterday came up without being able to have ANY use of her legs. As if there's no feeling in them whatsoever. She went from being fine - to being unable to stand. I thought it might be a soft egg or egg-bound with egg resting against a nerve? Don't know what to do . . .started giving Tums last night and one today in syringe mixed with water. Not my hen but I have taken care of the group of 4 BYers for a couple of years now. The only thing that was any different yesterday was I had a hand-held vacumn clearing off cobwebs-spring cleaning. She seems to have gotten 'some' use of her neck/head back but am having to hand feed her-only soft stuff . . .pumpkin, etc. Wasn't able to eat yesterday but does accept very little food today-so appears back-end paralyzed with legs dangling. The owners are not going to consult with a vet so I thought I would try here. Shall I soak her rear in warm water for a bit? Could a lodged egg be leaning against a nerve and causing this? Someone suggested to me with all the stuff falling from vacumming, she may have been bitten by a spider? Just want her back to her glorious self . . .need help please!!!

Your location and climate would help provide a clue. Sudden paralysis can be from egg binding, heat sickness, mold exposure, petroleum distillates, and from an avian virus. Give her sugar water along with the calcium. If it revives her, it will rule out those other things.

Your location and climate would help provide a clue. Sudden paralysis can be from egg binding, heat sickness, mold exposure, petroleum distillates, and from an avian virus. Give her sugar water along with the calcium. If it revives her, it will rule out those other things.
In Toronto, ON. Heading back over there now-will try this . . . so a bit of (white?) sugar mixed into the syringe with the Tums? Thank you!

(all they have is the Tums so that is what I will be using).

(all they have is the Tums so that is what I will be using).
Sugar water would give her back the use of her legs? How much sugar? Apologies for the basic questions here.

One tsp sugar per 8 ounce cup of water is fine. Do they have a rooster who might have injured her back? Has there been any additions to their flock in recent weeks/months? Mareks can be a concern with leg paralysis, but also rule out egg bound, infection or tumor pressing on leg nerves, or injury.

One tsp sugar per 8 ounce cup of water is fine. Do they have a rooster who might have injured her back? Has there been any additions to their flock in recent weeks/months? Mareks can be a concern with leg paralysis, but also rule out egg bound, infection or tumor pressing on leg nerves, or injury.
No rooster-4 hens-2 Bantams, 2 Silkies (both silkies pretty bonded and roost together) . . .and one goes broody after the other one is just coming out >sigh<) Nothing injurious I can think of at all . . .a few minutes earlier she was standing beside me while I did the vacumming of all the cobwebs etc, more falling down into the straw in the coop than catching in the vac!! No additions-not allowed anymore under the TorontoUrbanHen Project . . .you lose one-can't get another anymore . . .they came and took id pics of each-only allowed 4 and when one of them goes . . .can't bring in another. Her eyes are bright she ate some cucumber seeds from a cuke-had to hold it in front of her, more fresh pumpkin a tiny. tad of spagetti squash but couldn't manage any leafy greens-offered her dandelion leaves (which she LOVES!! and some Kale-loves that too but can't sort of get her beak around. She also had 3 or 4 organic wild blueberries-which she also loves-she's usually a real foodie <3. The people who own the coop weren't home so I didn't get to give her the Tums or crushed oyster shells or sugarwater :-( Let them know I was coming but I guess they went out. I've been in & out of tears all day over this.

Back
Top Bottom