Several questions

end of the road farm

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2023
I've been amazed at the price of Black Copper Marans eggs on EBAY. I wonder
1. how long have those eggs been priced so high?
2. Why do people pay more for eggs that for sexed day old chicks(considering the hatch rate vs the day old chicks shipping survival rate)
I see many, many sellers who are getting a lot of negative reviews for customers who seem to be completely inexperienced. Even if you are careful with your packing.
With these thoughts in mind, would it be worthwhile to order a couple dozen pullets, 5 cockerels, raise them and try to sell the eggs on EBAY?
Although I've just been member of BYC for a few days, I have been a member of EBAY for 24 years with 100% feedback. I'd hate to see that plummet, because I've not had any feedback for a couple years now.
My other question is about ordering chicks from a big name supplier with good reviews but having a really bad experience with them. I'll post that shortly.

I actually ordered Black Copper Maran eggs off eBay and yea they are expensive. Black Coppers are considered a rare breed which is kind of strange to me because I feel like they are not very hard to find. I have Wheaten Marans and I feel like they Were cheaper than the Black Coppers but you cant find them in as many places

1. Supply and demand. People want pretty egg baskets so they'll pay a pretty penny for some dark egg layers.
2. Because *in theory* the breeders eggs on eBay might be better quality than hatchery birds.
3. I'd avoid selling delicate things like eggs on ebay, ebay like to shaft sellers.
There are other places to sell eggs, like Craigslist or building your own website.
Start with quality stick, perfect your line and sell your eggs.

I've raised Black Australorps for 10 years+ now, sold hundreds of day old chicks for couple bucks apiece, 50 or so 8 month old started pullets for $25, and more eggs than can be counted for 1-3 dollars a dozen. Australorps are always easy because once they start laying, they lay a LOT and in every kind of weather. BUT, around here, nobody would pay more for darker eggs like the Marans are famous for. And won't pay more for the started pullets because of the egg color, either. It's pretty rural.
But, man when I saw those 30-175 dollar a dozen Marans eggs, I (temporarily)lost physical contact with reality!!
Thats the sort of price I'd espect to pay for dodo eggs!! Or, at minimum peacock eggs.

Back
Top Bottom