Sick chicks!😣

MamaFox78

Songster
Aug 9, 2022
Colorado Rocky Mountains
Hi all! My daughter talked me into getting chicks from Big R, against my better judgement🙄 We just lost one buff orpington, another is sick, and so is one of the silver laced Wyandottes.

Eyes closed, unable to walk and very uncoordinated... but they're still chirping. The Wyandotte seems a little stronger. There's no pasty butt or other obvious signs. I gave them a teensy bit of NutriDrench in a little water, but so far not much difference.

What else can I do so we don't lose them??

Can you get corid? How's their poops? Diet?
I don't know about their poops... just got them yesterday and they've been in the broody enclosure in my coop, with a brooder plate for heat. Feed is Scratch & Peck chick starter.

Looks like they're perking up with the NutriDrench and holding them for heat. 🤷🏼‍♀️

What's corid?? I can try to get some.

I don't know about their poops... just got them yesterday and they've been in the broody enclosure in my coop, with a brooder plate for heat. Feed is Scratch & Peck chick starter.

Looks like they're perking up with the NutriDrench and holding them for heat. 🤷🏼‍♀️

If their poops are runny, I'd treat for coccidiosis with corid.
Keep them under the heat, they might just be in shock from traveling. Add more nutri drench and monitor. If they don't improve, replace the vitamin water with corid water.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corid-amprolium-oral-drench-instructions.74391/

If their poops are runny, I'd treat for coccidiosis with corid.
Keep them under the heat, they might just be in shock from traveling. Add more nutri drench and monitor. If they don't improve, replace the vitamin water with corid water.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corid-amprolium-oral-drench-instructions.74391/
Ok they might just be stressed from travel.... looked like a new shipment from Big R. I'll watch for runny poops, and if that's the case I'll do corid water! Thanks so much!!

Hi all! My daughter talked me into getting chicks from Big R, against my better judgement🙄 We just lost one buff orpington, another is sick, and so is one of the silver laced Wyandottes.

Eyes closed, unable to walk and very uncoordinated... but they're still chirping. The Wyandotte seems a little stronger. There's no pasty butt or other obvious signs. I gave them a teensy bit of NutriDrench in a little water, but so far not much difference.

What else can I do so we don't lose them??
Ok they might just be stressed from travel.... looked like a new shipment from Big R.
Please post photos of the chicks and poop.

How old are they?

Were the chicks shown food/water?

Shipping stress can definitely take a chicks out. Give them a little sugar water, make sure they are drinking. I wouldn't put the PND in the water, just give each one a direct oral dose of 2-3 drops twice a day.

Please post photos of the chicks and poop.

How old are they?

Were the chicks shown food/water?

Shipping stress can definitely take a chicks out. Give them a little sugar water, make sure they are drinking. I wouldn't put the PND in the water, just give each one a direct oral dose of 2-3 drops twice a day.
I'll post pics asap... ran out to get corid as their poops are kinda runny. Would probiotics help with coccidosis? All they have is medicated feed, but my ducklings can't have that and they're in the same enclosure🤷🏼‍♀️

I think you should contact who you got the chicks from and tell them your situation. It may be good to know that something is wrong with the chicks they are sending out.

If you're doing Nutri-Drench, don't do Corid and vice versa, you're working against one with the other. That said I doubt it's coccidiosis unless they're a few weeks old, as chicks that are only a few days old don't have time to build up enough parasite load for there to be issues. Shipping stress is more likely.

I'd do a lot more Nutri-Drench, both direct dose for any chick that's not drinking well or is noticeably struggling, and some in the water (I don't measure it but I put in enough that it looks like coffee).

Thanks everyone! I went to the store where I bought them, they replaced the dead chick for free and thanked me for telling them what happened. They didn't have corid, only medicated feed (which my ducklings can't have)... so I just dosed the chicks' water with NutriDrench and Arrive probiotics.

The two we were nursing look a lot better already, so hopefully it was just shipping stress and the extra goodies in their water will help. 🙏

Back
Top Bottom