Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Thank you! I wanted to make sure before breeding my partridge Cochin to my splash Cochin
I found that breeding Splash to Partridge gives you a shot at calico splash. Been working on that for over a year. There's a thread on that. The males have stronger coloring, while the females are pale.
DSC_0379.JPG
DSC_0352.JPG

Thank you! I wanted to make sure before breeding my partridge Cochin to my splash Cochin

You'll get leaky blue chicks. Black to partridge produces leaky black chicks. 1 copy of the blue gene from the splash parent to make for blue chicks.

Breeding those chicks back to partridge will give half leaky chicks and half partridge. May not have good markings but will be partridge.

Any other colors in parents background can modify the color.

Hi guys!
My lovely Silkie girl Jaffa just hatched shipped Araucana eggs. 6 were under, 4 are out and about, 1 didn't hatch and other chick died after hatch for some reason. Hopefully will be at least 1 hen to cross with my silkie boy 😃.. looks like different coloured variety 🤔 it's cold here, autumn, so they are staying snuggled under mumma hen mostly. I haven't had another breed of chicken before so it will be interesting!
IMG20240515105408.jpg

I found that breeding Splash to Partridge gives you a shot at calico splash. Been working on that for over a year. There's a thread on that. The males have stronger coloring, while the females are pale.View attachment 3833374View attachment 3833375
Just was thinking about this. Calico is Millie Fleur so I don’t think you could get splash calico using partridge and splash because there is not mottling gene involved. Millie Fleur is buff Columbian with mottling over it.

I do LOVE that color though if your silkies. Have u got those two to breed true to their color?

Back
Top Bottom