Sore spot-need advice. I am putting the blue chicken cream on it but it seems to be getting worse and not better. How do I help her?

Kdfa

In the Brooder
May 2, 2024
image000000.jpeg

Please provide more info so we can better help you - do you know what was the cause of the injury? Is there any smell or discharge from the wound? What blue chicken cream are you referring to? Have you used any other products on the wound? Age of the hen (I'm assuming this is a hen from the feathers and she looks a lot like my RIR girls). Do you have a rooster and if so are: the nails/spurs kept trimmed and do you use saddles on the hens, plus what is the hen to rooster ratio?

Please provide more info so we can better help you - do you know what was the cause of the injury? Is there any smell or discharge from the wound? What blue chicken cream are you referring to? Have you used any other products on the wound? Age of the hen (I'm assuming this is a hen from the feathers and she looks a lot like my RIR girls). Do you have a rooster and if so are: the nails/spurs kept trimmed and do you use saddles on the hens, plus what is the hen to rooster ratio?
She’s a year old. I didn’t know that I need to trim the rooster spurs. I need to know how to do so. I am looking for a saddle pattern right now! I am just learning about my chickens! Thank you for your advice!

I agree, if the wound is getting worse and you have a rooster, that's likely one reason, the mating is keeping the wound open. She may be picking at it a little too, hard to know.

Clean the wound with saline, chlorhexidine or povidone iodine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.
If she's not getting picked at by the other hens and the wound is hard to see under the wing, I'd leave her with the hens, move the rooster to a separate pen until she heals up. It's not a punishment for the rooster, so don't be mad at him, it's just to keep her from being mounted so the wound will close up/heal. Once healed, put the rooster back with the girls. IF you do leave her with her flock, make sure to check that wound at least once daily and tend to it. You sure don't want flies laying eggs in the wound.

Reason I suggest leaving her with the others IF she's not getting picked at and moving the rooster is it's harder to re-integrate a lone separated hen than it is a rooster.

Saddles can help protect skin, but it's a good idea to keep nails filed smooth and if the rooster has long pointy spur, round them and smooth those up too. These type of injuries can happen, a nail or spur gets caught or tears the skin while mating.

Back
Top Bottom