South Louisiana Winter & Rain

Grandchicks22

Chirping
Dec 18, 2022
We have had extreme rain for the last 3 days and now everything is flooded which this never happens!

Now the worst winter here since 1989, 20-30s severe wind chill for our area from what we are used to!

All you severe cold area chicken Moms and Dads does your chickens try to go in puddles during this weather? My chickens want to go straight into the ditch waters and their coop usually never holds water and now they have water on the bottom! I just loaded several bales of hay to the floor and hopefully it drains by tomorrow night Friday morning when the cold should be hitting!

Any suggestions and am I worried about the cold bc we aren’t used to this weather?! Lol

Let me add , please no judgement , their coop is on high ground with sand we usually really hot and it never gets wet , we will soon build something inside and elevate the floor for future winter weather 🫤

We have had extreme rain for the last 3 days and now everything is flooded which this never happens!

Now the worst winter here since 1989, 20-30s severe wind chill for our area from what we are used to!

All you severe cold area chicken Moms and Dads does your chickens try to go in puddles during this weather? My chickens want to go straight into the ditch waters and their coop usually never holds water and now they have water on the bottom! I just loaded several bales of hay to the floor and hopefully it drains by tomorrow night Friday morning when the cold should be hitting!

Any suggestions and am I worried about the cold bc we aren’t used to this weather?! Lol

Let me add , please no judgement , their coop is on high ground with sand we usually really hot and it never gets wet , we will soon build something inside and elevate the floor for future winter weather 🫤
In the future use straw instead of hay. I deal with alot of Louisiana water I'm low and my yard holds water. Hay is solid and absorbs water then it will mold. Straw is hollow and almost waxy and repels water so the top will do its best to keep the chickens above the water till it can drain and be absorbed in the ground.

In the future use straw instead of hay. I deal with alot of Louisiana water I'm low and my yard holds water. Hay is solid and absorbs water then it will mold. Straw is hollow and almost waxy and repels water so the top will do its best to keep the chickens above the water till it can drain and be absorbed in the ground.
Thank you good to know!!

I would be worried about the mold potential too.

You will probably want to muck it out and compost it once the weather clears up some.

While we get much colder here than you do down south this polar vortex is going to drop a lot of us very quickly. Keep an eye on them for any that seem to be stressed by it. They may need housed in a dryer place like a shed or garage if they are seeming to struggle.

Yes mine will go in the puddles at those temps. I see them go sit on the roost shortly afterwards appearing to be warming their feet in their fluff.

I would be worried about the mold potential too.

You will probably want to muck it out and compost it once the weather clears up some.

While we get much colder here than you do down south this polar vortex is going to drop a lot of us very quickly. Keep an eye on them for any that seem to be stressed by it. They may need housed in a dryer place like a shed or garage if they are seeming to struggle.

Yes mine will go in the puddles at those temps. I see them go sit on the roost shortly afterwards appearing to be warming their feet in their fluff.
Yes once this cold passes us we will be removing all the hay and pine shavings , elevating it and reapplying sand! Okay I will keep an eye out, I already have some chicks and a mom with eggs in our shed! Lol I’ll be prepared if I need to move them!

Should I put any heat for mom and eggs and the 10 week old chicks in my garage?

Yes once this cold passes us we will be removing all the hay and pine shavings , elevating it and reapplying sand! Okay I will keep an eye out, I already have some chicks and a mom with eggs in our shed! Lol I’ll be prepared if I need to move them!

Should I put any heat for mom and eggs and the 10 week old chicks in my garage?

Mom should be able to keep the eggs warm and the 10 week olds should be well feathered so at your temps I wouldn't worry to much. Just stay vigilant and intervene only if a bird is going downhill.

Back
Top Bottom