Uh oh - one week old.

TheOLDNewChick

I'm an original
12 Years
Jun 12, 2007
Tioga, Louisiana
I'm gonna fill this out in the sticky thread about posting in "Emergencies" and then if needed further detail the situation.
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Bantam, 8 days old, uhh... really really light?

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
This morning at 6:30 I went to move the cage of bitties from the porch to their spot outside, and I only counted six chicks. Hmm. I looked all around the porch, thinking I may have gotten ahold of a little escape artist, no chick to be found. I look in the corner of their cage and there's the little one, only half concious, wet & cold. I quickly threw a towel in the dryer to warm up, and cupped him in my hands, trying to share my body heat. It was very weak, and breathing heavily.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Half conciousness, weakness.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Not known.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I've gotten a little bit of water down it.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Sometimes normal, sometimes just a little runny.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I've kept him in a cage by himself, wrapped up in a towel with access to water, checking every half hour.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Self treat.

The chick is still very weak, and very shaky. I've gotten a little bit of water down him, and he's starting to open his eyes more, move his wings / head some. He's still a little cool, but it's warming up outside, I think that might help. Anything else I could/should be doing? What do you think caused it? Thanks.

Did he fall in the watering font and get wet and chilled that way? Do you have a heat lamp you can put over this one? If not, how about trying a heating pad? Do you have any electrolytes you can put in the water? Let us know how things go.

I'm so sorry, it's hard when the little ones go.
hit.gif

Miriam

I am so very sorry you lost your chick.
A bird falling into the waterer is a common enough occurence unfortunately...
When you suspect the bird is cold... then always warm up before giving drink or food (you must never feed a dehydrated or hpothermic chick.
..give the water lukewarm when you are sure it is warmed up (in addition to a heat lamp, getting it dry and laying it on a bag of warmed dry rice (heated in microwave wrapped in towel or under a good amount of shavings) or a waterbottle.
:aww

For future reference; You need to warm up a hypothermic animal slowly and evenly. Hair driers, etc are a really severely hot blast, and not a good idea. A nice warm water bottle, your body heat, the warm-dry-rice idea, etc are good ideas because the heat is mild and even.

The problem with warming them up really fast is that their tiny hearts cannot take the change. Warm slowly and evenly for best results, like a placing it on dry warm towel under a nice warm heat lamp at a safe (1 ft or more) distance.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong, by the way. I'm just letting everyone know in case it helps someone in the future.

-MTchick

Back
Top Bottom