Using Electric Wire To Deter 'Goanna' Lizards Eating Eggs

MasAhora

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2016
Paraguay
Several goanna type lizards are entering my hen house and eating eggs. So confident one shed its skin inside the hen house when we had a stormy week and I couldn't collect the eggs on 1 day.
We've installed a perimeter electric wire to try and teach them its a horrible food source.
The idea is to lock the hens inside at night and turn on the hot wire. Mid/late morning the next day I turn off the hot wire and let the hens out. I've often seen the lizards mid-morning.

I also bait the hot wire area with a couple of eggs laid that day to entice the lizards and teach them this place is out of bounds. Because the eggs are only there overnight I can still use them.

I hope it works because I can't trap the lizards and I hate killing them especially as it's now breeding season. If all goes well I'll use the hot wire for a couple of weeks and then only periodically for any new lizards seeking a lovely eat-in restaurant :rolleyes: and scaring me silly when I'm collecting eggs 😱

My previous post seeking ideas:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rarily-to-deter-lizard.1549154/#post-26167344

Attachments

• Chicken coop electric wire 1.jpg
    Chicken coop electric wire 1.jpg
    881.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Chicken coop electric wire 2.jpg
    Chicken coop electric wire 2.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Chicken coop electric wire 3.jpg
    Chicken coop electric wire 3.jpg
    784.4 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom