Any hand spinners or knitters out there?

OHChick

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
I'm looking for some advice if any of you are hand spinners or knitters. I raise alpacas in addition to my chickens and this is the first year I have had enough fiber to do something with. I have pin drafted rovings, felting yarn and sport-weight yarns. I'm trying to see what kind of market there is for such a thing. Anyone ever bought stuff like that? I'm trying to figure out how to price it and where best to market it.

Of course if anyone is interested in buying it, we could work something out also. I have a maroonish/brown pin drafted roving that is alpaca & merino wool blend, white pin drafted roving from a *very* soft animal, 26 microns, brown felting yarn in medium brown and white sport weight yarn 28.8 microns.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

I knit and crochet, both--but don't hand spin. I usually limit myself to the relatively inexpensive yarns. However, I don't usually knit or crochet large projects, either. I like to do little toys and dolls. Since they're chewed on by the nephews and nieces, using expensive yarn is probably not the best idea for me, anyway.
big_smile.png

Sometimes I knit scarves, hats and mittens, and then I like to use wool blends. I would definitely consider (and prefer) something artisanal, but I imagine I would be limited by cost.

I'll eventually work my way up to an afghan, I'm sure... I just have a feeling I'll get bored before it's done. Maybe if I do a granny square patchwork, I'll be able to switch off patterns enough to entertain myself.

tongue.png

Hi OHChick!

I have sheep and belong to a sheep breeders association. There are a number of hand spinners, felters and various artisans members who do not have sheep, but are members because they will have access to fleece and fibers. You may want to contact an organisation in OH. You will be able to network with those people to find out where they sell their yarns.
There are also Sheep and Fiber Festivals throughout the country that will have fleeces judged and sold at the event. Perhaps you could enter one and meet other people you could network with. There are also a variety of yarns, felt and roving that people will bring to sell.
There are Spinning Guilds that you may want to contact in your area. You could probably google them. They may have established places that will buy your yarns... again, network with people who have similar hobbies and interests!
I do a bit of spinning, but my own sheep supply me with what I need. I've sold raw fleeces for $10 - $15 apiece with some vegetative matter (my fleeces have the tags removed and there are no second cuts). Alpaca should command a higher price. It depends on what the going rate and demand is in your area.
ALSO... Check out eBay. I saw some nice raw fleeces (alpaca) and spun yarns on there not too long ago. You can check out what prices they're selling for. Hope this helps!!!
smile.png

I noticed there are some knitters and felters out there. My daughter's school- Waldorf school, teaches them to knit and do felting. I know the school is always asking for left over yarns, felting materials and anything they can reuse. If anyone out there wants to donate any leftovers drop me a line. Thanks

Last edited:
smile.png
I knit and crochet and I'm working on learning to spin, just don't have time to practice much!

SunnyChooks is right, check out sheep and fiber festivals and yarn shops so you can get an idea for prices.

One lady I know has her own "wool shop" set up on her property in an old dutch meeting house. She uses it as a knitting/spinning studio and sells the wool from her sheep and from nearby fiber farms, roving, yarn (handspun and commercial), spinning wheels, knitting supplies & patterns, and finished items she knit. Once a month she has a free knitting/spinning group and everyone comes on a Sunday afternoon and hangs out and works on their projects. She gives help on projects and if anyone needs anything they can buy it right there and keep on going with their project. :)

I'll miss going to that. :)

Last edited:
I'm a spinner, and usually alpaca is rather too expensive for me, though the few times I've used it I've LOVED the results.

You can see what my favorite fiber place, Copper Moose Fibers, charges:

http://www.coppermoose.com/Alpaca.html

Because I usually sell the yarn I make, I like it to be relatively inexpensive, otherwise after all that work the profit is not really worth it.

Hi OHChick,
You've got some good suggestions so far, I think getting a booth at a sheep & wool festival is a great idea. I go to the ones in CT and New York and have been to Maryland once. There are always lots of alpaca owners there. Another idea is to sell your fiber on Local Harvest. Here's the link: http://www.localharvest.org/

I'm
a knitter but have'nt learned to spin yet.
sad.png
I did take my first weaving class last winter and made a beatutiful piece of fabric for cushions out of alpaca
smile.png
I loved working with it!

Good Luck, Jen

Thanks to all! I'll be sure to check out the sites you posted.

I wish I could do something with it but I am the least crafty person on the planet. If I tried to knit/crochet/etc all I can make is a potholder and they tend to get smaller as they go up in size b/c I must pull too tight or something.

Oh well, I can't be good at everything. Will have to settle for being a good chicken Momma.

I just went to my neighbor's house, she bought 4 of my chickens, they were glad to see me! Who'd have thought they'd know who I was. But they ran up to me and let me pet them and all. Smart chickens!!

Quote:
This is completely off topic, pattycake, we almost have to know some of the same people... I have a couple of friends in the spinners guild here in town, and a few of us were at lace days this weekend (I spent more than I should have for some pretty new bobbins.. They were so lovely and I had a new project so how could I resist?!?!
big_smile.png
hehe, Though now I'm wishing I'd picked up a few books too, but.. I'm still learning to lace, so figured pretty new bobbins are more useful in the short term than more patterns I can't make!!!
smile.png
)

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled thread..

I don't spin (drives me batty for some reason) but weave, so if you do start selling any pre-spun definitely post here..
wink.png
I'm interested!

Back
Top Bottom