Sexing Rhode Island Red Chicks (needs immediate answer please!)

lyndatu

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
Helloooooo

I am about to go to the feed store to get 2 of those "sunshine" chickens(RIR's). They're quite expensive. We really need a female......even just one female and one roo...........2 pullets are better, of course......they're around a day old..............do you have a sexing technique? Please, HURRY!

Thanks in advance!

QUICK

I'm new to this myself so I don't know how much help I can be. Maybe if someone dosn't give you an answer before you pick them up you could just ask them at the co-op or wherever you are getting them from. Hopefully they have some kind of experience at sexing them if they order chickies on a regular basis for people.

Jayare

Sorry, but it's going to be 50/50 since I don't think that they will be breeding the parents for feather sexing characteristics and that's about all you can do for day olds. Cross your fingers and pick two.

I'm not saying this is fail proof but wait a few more days (if you are able to) and then pick the ones that are feathered more in the wings and tail. In certain breeds, the female will tend to feather out quicker than the males. Like I said, it isn't fail proof but has worked wonderfully for me in the past with all different breeds. Good luck.

We tried an experiment one time because we were tired of getting boys.... So we held them by the heads letting the body hand and if they are fairly quiet and just hang they are girls and if they are fighting like crazy they are boys... it is 80% accurate.

Lol

Arklady

Thanks

Just got the chicks. They're 60 pesos each( a little more than $1), but we bought 2 of them so that makes 120 pesos. That's expensive for us! My parents are getting mad at my chicks......

Hmmm..........I tried Arklady's techniques and I think it works! One didn't struggle too much, while the other one did. Thanks to all!

Last edited:
Quote:
My grandfather raised and owned hundreds of chickens, mostly English Games, and he sexed all his chicks this way.

I've never heard of anyone else doing it before!

Nicole

Back
Top Bottom