Anyone use PVC pipe to make a tractor coop run?

franko

Songster
12 Years
Oct 22, 2007
Hunt, Tx
I need something for 8 chickens. I can build a small coop at the end and have the run back up to it. I have to move it buy myself. I was thinking about 3' high by 3'wide by 8' to 10' long. Use tie straps to hold the wire. Thanks in advance.

i have been wondering the same thing. I want to build a broiler house like the expensive pvc ones you see in farm supply catalogs. I figured i could build one for much cheaper.

i have never built a run with pvc, but have used it in other projects
covered tunnel entryways, soccer goals ect.
we used screws in the joints so we could take them apart and store.
also filled bottom pipes with sand or crete mix for ballast against the wind.
i think it would be alot cheaper to do yourself also.
pvc is great to work with.

I have to put something under the run to keep dogs, coons, whatever out. I guess I could use some kind of heavy gage chicken wire. I have a power washer I could use to rinse when I move it. I think 1 1/2" pvc would work. Any suggestions?

i looked at some site that sold stuff like that and they were using 1-1/4", but 1-1/2" would be even stronger schedule 40.

Someone on one of the groups I belong to makes some. Here is her site for maybe some ideas for your own project.
http://www.thehatchingpost.com/forsale.html
Let us know how it turns out!!

Edited to say, WOW I really like the idea of the link posted above, I think I am going to try to make one and see if it ends up being cheaper then the wood ones I have made that are over 100 in products trying to make it light enough for me to move around. Its not even that big either!
I think the PVC will be lighter for me to move around, I cant wait!

Last edited:
I made a tractor of 3/4" plastic pipe, added bird netting over the whole thing and then put shade cloth over the top. I made a swinging door to let them in and out of their permanent run into the tractor. It's 3' tall, 5' wide and 8' long. I usually put the girls in the tractor while I clean out their coop and run. They love going into the tractor because they know the get to graze on green goodies.

I hope these photos turns out for you. You can't see the whole thing, but you'll get the idea.

That's it. Thanks for the websites. It's PVC for sure and hardware cloth. The only problem is I live four blocks from the Gulf of Mexico and the rust is bad on wire. What did people do before BYC? franko

Back
Top Bottom