What do you do with naughty hens?????UPDATE

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
One of mine took to charging me and pecking my hand and box kicking me a couple of days ago.

well I slapped her across the face and grabbed her by the back of her neck and picked her up and yelled at her and said no and then put her back down.

Has this happened to you?

What do you do?

By the way, she is not broody....and I didnt hit her THAT hard.

Last edited:
My hens are nice. But my rooster on the other hand in evil!!! One Day, I steped into the chicken run and tried to pick one of the hens. Once she got in squat position (like she always does when I pick her up) the rooster started to chace me. Of course, I wasn't too scared so when he was runing to me, I grabed him by his neck & picked him up. Then I pushed him down to the floor realy hard. Then I started to say to him: "Can I handle you!?!" and I kept him there until he stoped trying to get out.
somad.gif

oh come on! you'd do the same!

I would have grabbed her by the back of the neck and make her squat. Sounds weird but like the rooster does to the girls, you know. I've done it a few times to one my bad attitude Silkies. She loved to peck me and bite me and after a couple of times of me doing that she got realized I was the boss and not to peck at me. It's nicer then hitting them and you don't always have a squirt bottle handy...that's a good idea though, I need one for my cats.
hmm.png

I cannot imagine hitting my chicken. However, I do understand that they must not do that.... there must be experienced chicken owners on this board that can suggest ways to direct behavior.
Ellie

Last edited:
Thank GOd you didnt bite the back its neck(what PurpleChicken did)!!! LOL.

I yell at me hens when they bite, and if I start to bleed(haapened twice), I spray them with water.

Update: It didnt help to hit her-it just made it worse

The next day she attacked me again- I just let her and showed her I wasnt a threat and she seems to be doing better now-(but she bit me three times on my hand and it bled)

Now she is wary of me and I of her but she isnt attacking anymore-I think it started when the puppy got in there a couple of weeks ago and she felt she had to protect her space-poor misunderstood animals-well I know now I will have to keep that in mind from now on(no puppy in the hen house and no jumping to conclusions about mean hens)

Back
Top Bottom