New Nests!

theOEGBman

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Central California
Well I found an add on Craigslist last Friday, and thought it was a good deal. A guy was selling 120 of these for $25 a piece. So, I got up this morning and my brother and I went and got one! I had to give him $20 for gas because it was about 30 minutes away, but they are still nice. The bottom is rusty, but nothing major. The perches fold up for easy cleaning and moving, and the bottoms of the nests pop out for cleaning as well. The girls werent sure what to think of it, but they were checking it out! Also, the back is open, so if I want to hang it on the wall and make doors on the outside of the coop, I can reach right in from outside and get them!

NewNestandchicks004.jpg

NewNestandchicks003.jpg

NewNestandchicks002.jpg

Those things on the right are the bottoms to the nests. They pop right in.

NewNestandchicks001.jpg

The trays go to the bottom of the metal parts in the back that are raised up, so even if there is no back, the eggs wont roll out. I think its pretty cool!

We are using the same nests! My Dad had chickens back in the 70's and 80's. He told me he bought it used back then and it's been in his barn since he stopped keeping chickens.

We got chickens last spring and he gave it to us. There was some rust on the the nest bottoms. My husband sanded them down a bit and spray painted them. I got excelsior pads from eggcartons.com and put them in. It's working out very well.

SEE!! I told you that you needed those. Why didn't you pick one up for me??? After all, I convinced you that you needed it. It is the least you could have done. :eek: You could have boxed it up and shipped it to me. I bet it wouldn't have cost but a hundred dollars or so.....
wink.png

Last edited:
Thanks, Cindy! I thought it was a good price, and I need one anyways. I sold 30 birds and Im using the money for coop building, and this is part of the coop, so it works,lol.

Deborah, I definitely plan on painting these as well. If it wasnt rusted, it would be fine, but since it is, Im going to paint it. I want it to look good! I've always used shavings so that's what I'll probably use. I ran out of some but luckily the goats had left some nibbled on alfalfa in their trough instead of throwing it all over the pen. I gathered it up and used it til I get shavings!

lau.gif
I know, Menkot! Umm....We didnt have room? Is that a good excuse? You'd have to pay me for gas money too, so you would be better off making your own!
gig.gif

Quote:
What a deal. Last one I saw like that, they guy was asking $150.00 I would have bought a FEW at $25.00.

Good deal!

Terry

Wow! I guess I did get a good deal! I would have bought more, but I dont need them. Im trying to keep it to just one pen of layers for eggs, and If I got more, I'd have come up with some excuse to get more chickens,lol.

Back
Top Bottom