sexing via holding head?

ebonykawai

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
Wheatfield, NY near NiagFalls
I'm trying to get more info on how exactly to do this. Here's the original thread, page 2:

http://backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25065&p=2

Does anyone know how to properly do this?
hu.gif

Personally, I think that is a cruel method of sexing chicks (if it even works, which I couldnt' say for sure). They're little necks are very fragile and I can tell you from culling will tear rather easily. I would think you would risk injuring a chick trying to sex them like that. JMO

Jody

They did that at the feed store when I bought some straight run Bantie's..... bought 2 - 1 is a cockerel....might as well flip a coin as far as I am concerned. But then again it could just be my bad luck cause I also bought 2 sexed EE and got the same ratio....

I thought it sounded bad, too, but then again, I don't know anything about it so I figured I was reading it wrong. So you actually do hold them by the head?? Eh...I think I'll just wait and see what they turn out to be.
sad.png

holding them by the head won't hurt anything at all. as long as you put them back down when you are finished. Did you see the video? if they can handle all the conveyor belts, sexors throwing them down chutes, or a newbie mama hen, then grow up to be perfectly normal, then they can handle you picking them up for a few seconds by the head.
Need a picture for proof?

I heard of hanging them upside down by their feet and if they flap like crazy they are roos and if they just hang they are hens. I did it to five chicks once and one was a roo that I thought was going to be a hen. I saw a thing on tv once, and I think they were looking at the quantity of feathers on the wing or something, not quite sure as it was awhile ago.

Yeah, I saw the TV thing. It was the feathers on their wings. All the same length was roos, different lengths was pullets.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I've never heard of this type of sexing before. It's interesting that it seems to give good results.

Well, it took over 1/2 hour to download utube video and I finally got to watch it, and yes that is what it says, 2 rows of feathers, same length roo, 2 lengths hen.

Back
Top Bottom