Sex & Breed Help, Please...

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
This is one of my chicks with the pecked bum. I know it is a Wyandotte of some type, I ordered a Wyandotte assortment.
They were hatched 2/19/08, so not quite 4 weeks, but what a comb, huh?
I ordered 28 and received 34.
hmm.png
So possibly 6 roos. According to Ideal, the extra chicks were pulled from the Wyandotte assortment straight run.

The pics are from the cell, so not top quality, sorry.
Comb pic...
0308081233.jpg

Here is a feather pic:
0308081235.jpg

Thanks-
Em

edited for poor spelling
roll.png

Last edited:
Also, just so you know.....the wyondottes are not supposed to have that type of comb, so it might be something else. I have 2 SLW's and one has a flat comb, and the other has a pointy comb. Someone here told me that hatchery birds sometimes come out that way.....but that breed is not supposed to have that type of comb.....so its a true mystery chick!!!

Oh my goodness!!

That never even occured to me. Indeed, my other SLW have the comb that is smaller, what, a rose or pea comb?

Wow, now I'm wondering if they're EE's. So much for Ideal saying they pulled them from a Wyandotte straight run, LOL.

I would be pleased with some more EE's. My EE roo is stunning, as is the hen.

Anyone else with any other insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, everyone. BYC rocks.
Em

ROOSTER!

I hate when they get their feathers picked. I swear, you can give them all the room in the world, and there is always ONE that gets picked on!

That looks like my mystery chick from Ideal (except mine is 11 days old and has no comb yet). I ordered Black Jersey Giant eggs, and my mystery chick hatched out of one. I don't know what it is, but it's not a giant. It looks like ideal must have quite a surplus of whatever breed it is!!

Back
Top Bottom