Code of Conduct or anything someone new to a swap meet should know?

RebelsHope

Songster
12 Years
Jul 27, 2007
wisconsin
I have never been to a SWAP meet, but I was thinking of going to one near me. I was wondering if there was anything I should know. Are there unwritten rules? Do you have to SWAP or can you buy? Are there any do or don't?

Thanks-

We bought ducklings at our poulty swap meet last year and I have never heard of any unwritten rules...if there are any, I sure would like to know them, also.

I can't really think of any unwritten rules myself.
No you don't need to bring animals to swap. You can go as just a buyer/looker.
I guess the only advice I can offer is the "Buyer Beware". Now I am not saying every animal there is sick, ill, or of the like. But Just make sure you know what you are looking for in the terms of the animals.
There is no guarrenttee(sp??) on the animals.

I suppose like any bargin hunter prices most of the time can be talked about with the seller.

I know when we sold some of our animals last weekend we had one price and did change it a bit here and there for people. But I suppose that's all up to the seller.

As for dressing...Use layers I guess, as you can always take one off. Watch the weather...
Best of luck on your animals hunt.
Shawna

just be careful, be very familiar with the breeds you are looking for and then look at the birds for the expected characteristics. especially if you are looking for breeding stock. leg color, size, type, all the specifics for your breed.

Ask the seller what they have, if you tell them "I am looking for dodo birds", some will have dodo birds for sale, even if they don't!

there are a LOT of honest folks and great folks at the swaps, just use your common sense. if its too good to be true, it probably is.

And get there early! The best birds will sell early

M

Today was my first day.. while it is fresh in my mind this is what I learned.

Take a flashlight. Have you ever shopped at 5 am outside in the dark?

Dress in warm layers. Remove as the sun comes up. (bring tissue.. lol cold weather =runny noses)

Get there EARLY, we got there at 5, it was busy, but when we left, incoming traffic was backed up for 15 miles, it was a mess and I wondered what those people were fighting to get in for, mosy everything was laready gone.

If you have a rolling..wagon or something... works great for your purchases.. kennels, boxes and wiggling pigs get heavy after awhile (I didn't buy.. but I was watching)

will add to this as I think..

Anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom