Good Deal?

talos321

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Gaffney, South Carolina
My brother's co worker sold him 2 dozen RIR eggs for 1.50 a dozen. I put them in the incubator the beginning of the month and to my surprise they all candled just fine on the 7th day. I'm thinking of getting more. I was kind of worried since my brother left them in his car overnight before bringing and it was like 42 F. My first incubation so I'm anxious to see how I do. :eek:

Last edited:
Definately a good deal. Good luck with your first incubation
fl.gif
I had my first babies hatch Tues
love.gif
WOW! It was so amazing and wonderful to watch them grow and move in their shell. Then
ep.gif
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
love.gif
Again heres wishing you luck and sending good vibes your way
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:
They are on day 20 and when candled on 18 it appears they all are viable to my surprise. Is it ok if the humidity is 63% during these last couple of days. I've soaked a wrapped up cloth and filled the tray and whatever reason it is maxed out at that.

Last edited:
Wow thanks everyone for the advice on running the incubator in the threads. I had one RIR come out 1 day early and not only was he ok he pipped and within 15 minutes he was out and running around on top of the other eggs and very fast to be so small.
tongue.png
I had to keep fishing the thermometer with a straw through the ventilation hole because he keeps knocking it over. My expected double yolk egg (curious what would happen) has almost hatched and I see two beaks zipping away one on the large end and one on the small end. 8 other pips! Whatever comes from them I'll be happy that I at least got one on my first go.

Surprisingly after the first egg hatch the humidity went up to 74% is this normal?

Last edited:
wow another double yolk hatchery have you seen speckledhens post about trying to hatch a double yolk egg? I wish I could hatch and also have a rooster.

Good Luck,
Henry

Mrs. AK-BB here...
It IS normal for the humidity to go up, and the temps to spike, when the chicks start to hatch. No worries if it stays in the 70% range.
smile.png

I'm curious to see what happens with the double yolker, too... we were just discussing that the other day. I didn't think it was possible and have both chicks survive... it's so cramped in there!!
tongue.png

The double pip twins (Double Yolk) are doing ok they were a little slower and a little smaller than their siblings but seem to be doing great. My mom named them Fiddle and Faddle and wants them. I had to stick a piece of cardboard between them and the other chicks because the others bully them and try to peck their eyes.

I used an automatic egg turner and little giant still air but the double egg I laid sideways between two of the "finger type cups" cutting off two off the inside smaller quail egg grippers because I feared standing up would harm it and it was too big. I used the egg carton method on day 18 except the double yolk I set it on top of a small shallow plastic bowl which was upside down with a paper towel underneath and laid the egg flat.

I'm excited that all of the rest are pipped except two. I have learned not to watch because they don't come out when you watch them
wink.png

I've wondered about some of the people talking of chicks pipping but never coming out. I wonder if a broody hen sounds (sound samples) played to them beginning on day 18 might offer encouragement to finish coming out. The Mommy factor theory lol.

lol.png

Back
Top Bottom