Egg washing?

juliacale

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 21, 2007
Does anyone here wash their eggs?

If so, how?

I saw someone once rub cooking oil over the newly laid egg. Ever heard of this?

Some people wash their eggs, some don't...I do not unless they would happen to be extremely dirty...There is a bloom from the hen that coats the egg when its laid and that is to keep bacteria out...If you keep your nest boxes clean there is no reason for dirty eggs...

The oil question would be some wash their eggs, dry them and then rub a cooking oil on them to give a sheen and look prettier....if you wash your eggs they are prone to bacteria so need to be refrigerated quickly....

I do wash mine with water just so I can put them in the fridge in cartons before I sell them. I have 4 buckets so I wait for them to all fill, and leave them on the counter at room tempature. If they are really dirty I put a little vinegar in the water.

I don't wash my eggs because they are not dirty. My customers know this and are fine without me washing them. The worst I ever find on the eggs is a stray feather or a bit of stuck straw. I am sure I might eventually get one that is dirty, but we will just eat that one ourselves.

I generally don't. I try to keep the nest boxes pretty clean with fresh hay, so the eggs don't usually get too dirty. Occasionally though, I will find one with a bit of poo on it (they do come out of a chicken's butt after all), and I usually just wipe it with a damp paper towel.

I don't worry about washing my eggs because I generally cook them anyways. The whole point is NOT to get the shell in my food. :)

We wash our eggs . The technique we use is simple. Scalding hot water with a clean cloth. Eggs are wiped clean of any fecel material etc. Then put on a clean dry tea towel. Then we dry them (if they aren't dry on thier own) with a piece of paper towel. The key is the water temperture is higher than the inside of the eggs so there is no exchange of bacterial material. When selling eggs any dirt is a turnoff to customers.

The oil is put on the eggs after washing to act as the "bloom" so that nothing is able to get into the egg itself.

Personally I do wash my eggs in warm/hot water, towel dry, light coat of oil (which I use a paper towel to get off the excess) then in the carton they go.

Quote:
I think you are talking about the ones that use a bucket of cleaning solution and compressed air. You submerge the eggs in the solution and hook up an air compressor and the bubbles rising through the eggs are supposed to give a gentle agitation that cleans the eggs. From what I've heard they don't work all that well.

The USDA doesn't allow eggs to be submerged for eggs that are cleaned under their inspection. The commercial machines use a combination of mechanical brushes and a sanitizing spray to remove dirt and fecal material. The eggs are brushed again to remove excess water and are then blow dried. It is an automatic machine where eggs are fed in one end and come out clean at the other end.

Back
Top Bottom