🦆 The DUX has woken up! 🦆

Since it's just a coating, can't you rub some of it off?
I can, but that requires a lot of water, abrasive powder and my angle grinder… 🤣
Seriously, that stuff is a coating, but a very tough one. Those eggs will be my Kinder Surprise eggs…
That is one of the reasons why i have added that white egg as an indicator. Apart from the fact that somebody laid the egg literally in front of me as if asking "can you hatch that for me?".

I candled the eggs today for the first time, using the built-in light of the incubator which is much brighter than my flashlight. So far i saw a tiny disk in all the eggs, except the black ones. No visible blood vessels yet, but i realize that my incubator is running a bit cold: The sensor between the freezer-packs detects 37.4° whereas the sensor on top of the eggs shows 35.6°. I have covered the eggs (after turning them again) with a kitchen towel, now the upper sensor shows 36.8°.
Working on it…

I candled the eggs today for the first time, using the built-in light of the incubator which is much brighter than my flashlight. So far i saw a tiny disk in all the eggs, except the black ones. No visible blood vessels yet, but i realize that my incubator is running a bit cold: The sensor between the freezer-packs detects 37.4° whereas the sensor on top of the eggs shows 35.6°. I have covered the eggs (after turning them again) with a kitchen towel, now the upper sensor shows 36.8°.
Working on it…
May I suggest investing in a better CCI? The one I have is a MeeF, and I really like it. I don't use the automatic turner in it for the most part, mainly because I tend to overfill it!

May I suggest investing in a better CCI? The one I have is a MeeF, and I really like it. I don't use the automatic turner in it for the most part, mainly because I tend to overfill it!
Nah! - The towel works well, temperature on top of the eggs is now 37° at the bottom its 37.6° which is perfect.
If i had a sophisticated incubator, i would forget about it and wake up one morning to a bunch of hangry ducklings invading my bed-room…

I had uploaded the video of the first egg-candling on Saturday before disaster struck here.
As eggspected, the dark eggs are keeping their secret. And i am not sure about the eggs with these red rings.
i have been on auto-pilot since Saturday evening, just moving and turning the eggs multiple times every day but will try to candle again asap.

Yes, when it rains it pours… But i always have a second plan:
full

Buffzilla is sitting on another set of black eggs, she wants to be a momma duck again this year. And she is very friendly.

I had uploaded the video of the first egg-candling on Saturday before disaster struck here.
As eggspected, the dark eggs are keeping their secret. And i am not sure about the eggs with these red rings.
i have been on auto-pilot since Saturday evening, just moving and turning the eggs multiple times every day but will try to candle again asap.
Wow, yeah, those blood rings are very disappointing.. I’d wonder if it’s the temperature, but it sounds like you’ve got that all sorted out. 12 may have potential, and 9 looks fantastic!

So sorry about the disaster by the way.. that’s so upsetting. I hope you can get some duckies from these 12 and more from Buffzilla :hugs

Is this sarcasm? 🤨
No sarcasm! - She is very friendly this year. Somehow, i guess due to Blanca's injury a strange afternoon egg collection routine has established itself here:
  • I fill two plastic containers with hot water
  • Dump a couple of frozen tomatoes into both containers
  • Add either some peas, cooked rice, or pasta
  • Add some meal-worms
  • Top off with a spoon full of cat food
The i walk to the dux-house, carrying both containers and the egg basket, being followed and led by a procession of ducks: Blanca and Violeta duck running into the house ahead of me quacking in excitement and expectation with Tweedledee, Fluffy, and SmørreBrød following behind me.
Inside the house Violeta jumps to the upper floor (where Buffzilla has her nest), Tweedledee and Smørre run up the ramp. When Buffzilla is done with covering her nest, one container goes to the second the second container is for Blanca, Fluffy and Brød on the ground floor.
While they are all eating, i start collecting the eggs, with Buffzillas nest first, removing the added white eggs from last night.
:oops: I guess i should try to record all this, but there will be a lot of German spoken…
Anyways, Buffzilla has noticed that i help her with building her nest and covering her eggs carefully and she watches and likes my work. And she is always grateful for the fresh straw i bring her. - And of course the food…

Back
Top Bottom