2 of 4 Chinese geese killed, remaining acting odd

Cheeks100

Hatching
Jun 23, 2021
Sorry, this is long but I’m hoping for some advice!!! We live on a small lake with 7 other homeowners, each 5-12 acres. A neighbor (call him neighbor K) bought 2 pair of Chinese geese and raised them from goslings. Unfortunately, within a year or so, 3 of the 4 had been killed by coyotes (we think). With all of us sharing the lake, they were basically free range.
The male that was left was so sad and lonely, searching for his flock and grieving last summer. I found 3 grown Chinese female geese that someone was rehoming for the gander. They all seemed to instantly create a flock and the gander quit crying nonstop.
Unfortunately, with the spring mating season this year, the gander started pecking at car tires in a water crossing near neighbor K’s house and another neighbor “C”. The gander wasn’t aggressive, you could stop and pet him but he made a fuss. There was a nest the geese were sitting on in K’s yard.
Neighbor C decided a couple weeks ago he was sick of the geese and killed the gander and one of the females. It’s made us all just sick and it’s a LONG story.

But here’s the question- the two geese that were killed were either in C’s yard or around there. Now, the two remaining females are there almost all the time. I’m trying to rehome them but haven’t been able to get them away from C’s fenced in pasture (they can swim out so they aren’t trapped and used to be all over the place). Are they staying there looking for the other 2 that were killed- with one of the dead ones being the only gander? Or is it just a fluke?

Part of the long story is I’m scared of C (seemed nice before but now???) and can’t go knocking on his door since I called the sheriff out on animal cruelty charges against him. The sheriff said it’s actually an animal control case. Now that officer is saying they are livestock and have to be contained or it’s a $500 per incident fine. Neighbor K and my family are all upset over the killing of the sweet geese. We want to rehome the remaining two because we would rather not have them and prosecute C than have them around.

It’s a mess but what is so strange is the 4 geese were in my pasture or K’s yard 90% of the time. Now the remaining 2 are sticking around the goose killer’s house. Goose killer says he’s fine with the 2 that are left but I think he’s figured that if we prosecute for animal cruelty, then he’s going to get us fined for loose livestock (and they’ve been over there non-stop for 2 1/2 weeks- wouldn’t be surprised if he was taking daily pictures/feeding them even to keep them there/his driveway gate used to be open almost all the time and now it’s closed🙄)

Sorry, this is long but I’m hoping for some advice!!! We live on a small lake with 7 other homeowners, each 5-12 acres. A neighbor (call him neighbor K) bought 2 pair of Chinese geese and raised them from goslings. Unfortunately, within a year or so, 3 of the 4 had been killed by coyotes (we think). With all of us sharing the lake, they were basically free range.
The male that was left was so sad and lonely, searching for his flock and grieving last summer. I found 3 grown Chinese female geese that someone was rehoming for the gander. They all seemed to instantly create a flock and the gander quit crying nonstop.
Unfortunately, with the spring mating season this year, the gander started pecking at car tires in a water crossing near neighbor K’s house and another neighbor “C”. The gander wasn’t aggressive, you could stop and pet him but he made a fuss. There was a nest the geese were sitting on in K’s yard.
Neighbor C decided a couple weeks ago he was sick of the geese and killed the gander and one of the females. It’s made us all just sick and it’s a LONG story.

But here’s the question- the two geese that were killed were either in C’s yard or around there. Now, the two remaining females are there almost all the time. I’m trying to rehome them but haven’t been able to get them away from C’s fenced in pasture (they can swim out so they aren’t trapped and used to be all over the place). Are they staying there looking for the other 2 that were killed- with one of the dead ones being the only gander? Or is it just a fluke?

Part of the long story is I’m scared of C (seemed nice before but now???) and can’t go knocking on his door since I called the sheriff out on animal cruelty charges against him. The sheriff said it’s actually an animal control case. Now that officer is saying they are livestock and have to be contained or it’s a $500 per incident fine. Neighbor K and my family are all upset over the killing of the sweet geese. We want to rehome the remaining two because we would rather not have them and prosecute C than have them around.

It’s a mess but what is so strange is the 4 geese were in my pasture or K’s yard 90% of the time. Now the remaining 2 are sticking around the goose killer’s house. Goose killer says he’s fine with the 2 that are left but I think he’s figured that if we prosecute for animal cruelty, then he’s going to get us fined for loose livestock (and they’ve been over there non-stop for 2 1/2 weeks- wouldn’t be surprised if he was taking daily pictures/feeding them even to keep them there/his driveway gate used to be open almost all the time and now it’s closed🙄)
Interesting, so the 2 geese that died were going to c's house and the 2 that are alive are doing the same now but wouldn't go to c's house when the other 2 were alive?

Interesting, so the 2 geese that died were going to c's house and the 2 that are alive are doing the same now but wouldn't go to c's house when the other 2 were alive?
Yes. The 4 would be there occasionally but not all the time like the 2 are now. There are some wild mallards that like that end of the lake so maybe they are hanging with them as a new flock? Though the geese are at C’s without the ducks too

Yes. The 4 would be there occasionally but not all the time like the 2 are now. There are some wild mallards that like that end of the lake so maybe they are hanging with them as a new flock? Though the geese are at C’s without the ducks too
Happy to update that I was able to catch the remaining 2 geese and rehome them!

Neighbor C has no right to kill someone else's property. Just horrible sorry for ur loss tho :(

The guy sounds like a vicious jerk. I also don’t think your sheriff knows what he’s talking about. When it comes to livestock they generally don’t. We live in the Santa Cruz Mountains of Northern California so our legalities are probably different. We are unincorporated on about 20 acres and can have any livestock we want. But there are still leash laws for example. A few questions: are you guys in an association of any kind? For example there are 4 homes on our private road. Years ago there was an association for road maintenance that went defunct and I’ve made sure it stays dead. But it covered other things too, like parking etc. if you have one you can manage him there. Have you called the county to understand what the regulations actually are? If for example you have an association you could stipulate that the geese can roam freely. That might get you around the count stuff or it might not. Also yeah it’s animal cruelty not animal control. However animal control often has a hand in both or works with another organization. We had a neighbor at our last place that neglected her dogs and they ran around turning over our trash cans for food. She also had a renter with a vicious bull mastiff that they let prowl the neighborhood that threatened people. I turned her into animal control and they fined her heavily. I’d asked her first several times to take control. She said she would but never followed through. Ultimately the bull mastiff ended up attacking her and her renter and was put down. I’m sure she got fined again for that. But through the process I learned the animal cruelty office is no joke. They are very serious. Anyway maybe you guys could talk to the guy and see if he’s repentant and willing to leave the geese alone. If someone killed our gander Tony, I’d get animal cruelty on them take any fines on us and sue that person whether I win list or a draw I’d do it is punishment. But that’s just me.

Attachments

• A36A7119-B761-4D79-B031-6F6F9689F1E1.jpeg
    A36A7119-B761-4D79-B031-6F6F9689F1E1.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 13
  • E30C31E3-A79A-412F-BE65-84D0D76C28DC.jpeg
    E30C31E3-A79A-412F-BE65-84D0D76C28DC.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom