3 day old chicks itching

Mariosmom

Chirping
Jul 23, 2022
Hello! My silkie chicks are on day 3 after hatch and I noticed this morning that they have started it itch/peck at their back and wings. It’s not constant but definitely noticeable.

I currently only have paper towels in the brooder, no pine shavings, temp under heat lamp is around 95 degrees and am feeding them Dumor starter, not medicated. I’m at a loss for what could be the cause… I dont know how they would have gotten mites or lice. Should I be concerned or what would you recommend to help alleviate their discomfort?

This is my first time with chickens so any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 8E5E435F-72BB-4ADD-8D2C-2FEC6318EC91.jpeg
    8E5E435F-72BB-4ADD-8D2C-2FEC6318EC91.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 52
Sounds like preening, which is normal.
Thank you! Another term I was not familiar with and after googling, preening is exactly what it looks like. I also noticed some new growth on their wings… pricklier than their fluff. That’s not feathers, right? I thought that could also be itchy for them.

Thank you! Another term I was not familiar with and after googling, preening is exactly what it looks like. I also noticed some new growth on their wings… pricklier than their fluff. That’s not feathers, right? I thought that could also be itchy for them.
Yes those are feathers. Here's a fluffy butt with new feathers. They look like sticks and then the feathers are poking out. Chicks generate alot of dust.

Attachments

• PXL_20220717_180222610.jpg
    PXL_20220717_180222610.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220717_180239420.jpg
    PXL_20220717_180239420.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 11
Those are feather growths/pin feathers, or their first flight feathers growing in.
20220603_163920.jpg

Yes those are feathers. Here's a fluffy butt with new feathers. They look like sticks and then the feathers are poking out. Chicks generate alot of dust.
Thank you! I’m surprised feathers start coming in so soon. I am wondering… they generate dust? That’s after I add the pine shavings?

When I move them to their actual coop and run, should I add pine straw if it’s a really grassy area so that they can dust? I have a big run for them to live in with their coop and it’s all grass. We have massive birds and I can’t handle the thought of one being scooped up!

I am wondering… they generate dust? That’s after I add the pine shavings?
Even with no pine shavings, chicks produce quite a bit of dust.

Some of it is from the way they grow their feathers: the feather looks like a stick at first, with something covering the fluffy parts. That covering comes off, usually in tiny dusty bits, as the feather gets bigger.

When I move them to their actual coop and run, should I add pine straw if it’s a really grassy area so that they can dust?
Pine straw usually means the long needles from pine trees. That would not help them dust.

You probably do not need to add anything for them to dust. They will pick a spot, eat the grass, scratch up the roots, and make themselves a nice dusting hole there. This may take them a few weeks, but probably not longer than that.

I have a big run for them to live in with their coop and it’s all grass.
It will not stay all grass. The chickens will make at least some bare areas.

They might make the entire area bare by the time they have been there for a few months, but that depends on the size of the run, and the number of chickens, and how fast plants grow in your climate.

Back
Top Bottom