4 new chicks, 3 bullying one

marcrey

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2024
Dallas/Ft Worth Texas
We got 4 chicks last week and have them in a brooder. All are ~4 weeks old. Today I noticed 3 of them pecking on the other one and she has some bleeding from the pecking. I moved her to a separate brooder to stop the pecking before they killed her. Not sure what to do going forward, she'll need to go back with the rest eventually. Should I keep her separate until they are ready to go out to the coop or should I try to integrate her back with the rest? Or, from reading some posts on here, perhaps the issue is space and I need a larger brooder? I have them in one that is 2'x3' right now.
Thanks!

Boredom is probably a factor. What breed are these chicks? What are your current temperature hi/lows outside? If the coop or run is ready, putting them out for a few hours should give them plenty to occupy them.

Boredom is probably a factor. What breed are these chicks? What are your current temperature hi/lows outside? If the coop or run is ready, putting them out for a few hours should give them plenty to occupy them.
The one that got bullied is a New Hampshire, the others are 2 Sex-links and a Wyandotte. I'm in the Dallas/Ft Worth Area so highs ~80 lows in the 60s right now. Coop and run are ready, but the rooster is living there so would need to create a separate space for the hens I believe.

The one that got bullied is a New Hampshire, the others are 2 Sex-links and a Wyandotte. I'm in the Dallas/Ft Worth Area so highs ~80 lows in the 60s right now. Coop and run are ready, but the rooster is living there so would need to create a separate space for the hens I believe.
Yes if there's already a bird living in there, you'll need to section off a safe space for the youngsters. Doesn't have to be predator secure, just tight enough to keep them in their own smaller area while they get to know the adult.

Your temperatures are extremely chick friendly so you don't have to worry much about that.

Back
Top Bottom