5 week old chick attacked by stray cat; need help ASAP

snicholson

Hatching
May 12, 2020
A stray cat got in my backyard and grabbed one of my chicks. My husband chased it down and I guess the cat got scared and let go of the chick. She was bleeding and limping. The injury is under her wing on her back. I saw two wounds. I’ve cleaned it with saline and put neosporin on it and wrapped it up so she won’t peck at it. She’s not bleeding anymore. But she’s very lethargic, won’t eat, and only drinks when I give her water through a syringe. She just pooped and it looked like pee. It was liquid yellow. I don’t know what else to do for her 😢 she’s breaking my heart. Any advice would be so helpful

Sorry about your chick being attacked. Do you have any pictures to share? I would get some Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) from your pharmacy or Walmart, mix it with water, and clean the wounds twice a day, then apply the antibiotic ointment. Cat wounds can get infected. Once they start healing, saline is fine to use. She will be in shock for a bit. I would give her some time to rest in a quiet area. Then try to offer water or electrolytes, and some mushy food. She might have internal injuries which can’t be seen. I hope that she survives. I would make sure that the cat cannot get to the other chicks until they are older and bigger.

Sorry about your chick being attacked. Do you have any pictures to share? I would get some Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) from your pharmacy or Walmart, mix it with water, and clean the wounds twice a day, then apply the antibiotic ointment. Cat wounds can get infected. Once they start healing, saline is fine to use. She will be in shock for a bit. I would give her some time to rest in a quiet area. Then try to offer water or electrolytes, and some mushy food. She might have internal injuries which can’t be seen. I hope that she survives. I would make sure that the cat cannot get to the other chicks until they are older and bigger.
I will definitely grab some of that from the store. I don’t have any pictures of the actual wound right now because I was too panicked and just wanted to wrap her up so she’s wrapped but once I clean it again later, I will post one. This is the only pic I have. You can see on the bandage where she is bleeding at.
30D95F07-22EF-482A-801C-BD8203111C0A.jpeg

She’s got her own box and is separated and resting. Cat cannot get to any chickens anymore. What mushy food would you suggest? And is there a feeding method that works? She’s not interested in hand feeding

I will definitely grab some of that from the store. I don’t have any pictures of the actual wound right now because I was too panicked and just wanted to wrap her up so she’s wrapped but once I clean it again later, I will post one. This is the only pic I have. You can see on the bandage where she is bleeding at. View attachment 2136054
She’s got her own box and is separated and resting. Cat cannot get to any chickens anymore. What mushy food would you suggest? And is there a feeding method that works? She’s not interested in hand feeding
You can mix some water into her regular food to make a kind of mash. Dip her beak into it gently and see if that does the trick. Sometimes stirring it up right in front of the bird's face can get them interested in it because they see choice pieces of food moving around and get curious. Also you can scramble an egg (no seasonings added) and that may be enough to tempt the bird into eating.

Watery chick feed, made like thin oatmeal, and small pieces of scrambled egg are good, as barredbuzzard 34 recommended. Water is most important at this time. You can dip a baby chicks beak for a second to get them drinking, or drip some on the side of the beak. Usually wounds are best kept open to air after coating with antibiotic ointment. Placing the chick on a clean towel for bedding is good. Can she stand?

Back
Top Bottom