6 week Buff Brahma. Hen or Roo

Nikkichiky

In the Brooder
May 2, 2023
I have this 6ish week old Buff Brahma and I’m completely stumped as to if I have a little girl or guy. I picked it up from RK and there’s Hoover’s flyers around so I’m assuming that’s the hatchery this chick came from. Any guesses are welcome! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_8723.jpeg
    IMG_8723.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8724.jpeg
    IMG_8724.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8725.jpeg
    IMG_8725.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8726.jpeg
    IMG_8726.jpeg
    618 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8727.jpeg
    IMG_8727.jpeg
    638.5 KB · Views: 30
I have this 6ish week old Buff Brahma and I’m completely stumped as to if I have a little girl or guy. I picked it up from RK and there’s Hoover’s flyers around so I’m assuming that’s the hatchery this chick came from. Any guesses are welcome! Thanks in advance!
It looks like a female to me, but I only have one Brahma, I’m used to Rhode Island Red and Plymouth Barred Rock.

I sure hope you guys are right! 🤞🏼 I have a little BBR Oegb bantam roo(believe it or not…my head guy 😆) that I adore and a Brahma bantam roo with my 12 girls and they get along great. I really wanted Brahma girls but of course they were sold as straight run. I tried to pick 2 that were feathered the most because if I remembered correctly, my little bantam Brahma roo feathered really slow. I want to say he got red in the face and comb fast too. This one has some pink coming through and it’s scaring me lol.

Check out my 4-5 week old Buff Brahmas thread. I'd say pullet BUT I'm not all that certain. We have one that is smaller and still fluffy at 5weeks that we are assuming is a roo lol

All I've red on brahmas say they are slow to feather of a roo, but some of our bigger ones from same batch have bigger combs, not huge, just more prominent.

Attachments

• PXL_20240407_174602858.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240407_174602858.MP.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 23
Check out my 4-5 week old Buff Brahmas thread. I'd say pullet BUT I'm not all that certain. We have one that is smaller and still fluffy at 5weeks that we are assuming is a roo lol

All I've red on brahmas say they are slow to feather of a roo, but some of our bigger ones from same batch have bigger combs, not huge, just more prominent.
I just went through your thread! You’ve taken so many pictures! That’s awesome! My 2 look just like your 3 feathered ones. They are close in age. I got mine on 3-5 but some were already starting to get wing/tail feathers so I’m guessing they had been there about a week. Definitely not day or two olds. Here’s my bantam Brahma Poe. He’s every bit as big as my hens as a bantam 🤣. He’s a handsome thing 😊 Sweet too!

Attachments

• IMG_8374.jpeg
    IMG_8374.jpeg
    916.4 KB · Views: 19
I just went through your thread! You’ve taken so many pictures! That’s awesome! My 2 look just like your 3 feathered ones. They are close in age. I got mine on 3-5 but some were already starting to get wing/tail feathers so I’m guessing they had been there about a week. Definitely not day or two olds. Here’s my bantam Brahma Poe. He’s every bit as big as my hens as a bantam 🤣. He’s a handsome thing 😊 Sweet too!
He's a cutie! We plan on keeping our Brahma roo is he is in deed a roo lol.

I tend to take a lot of photos of everything lol it's how I catalogue life haha!

Back
Top Bottom