A little goat help maybe? I think she's sick..

Birdmom2020

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Yadkin river area NC
I have a female Nigerian dwarf x lamancha a little under 1 yr old. She's been sleeping in the building all day and when I went out to feed everybody she came out very slowly. She was wobbly and looked like she was shaking when I looked at her ears. She wouldn't eat but went and got a drink. She's vaccinated and does not have worms. Her poo is pebbly like normal. Not pregnant.

I'm new to raising goats and have never seen this before. Please be kind. I'm nervous as all get out and extremely worried about her.

Could be goat polio. I'd give her Vit B Complex right away. If I remember right my vet had me give 4 ccs a day for maybe a week. Can give sub-q or by mouth if you aren't comfortable with injections. Vit B won't hurt her if it's not polio and no danger of overdose.

If it is polio, you really need thiamine, and you have to get that from the vet. B complex will help in the interim, but it really isn't strong enough. Some of the classic signs of polio are staring, pushing the head against the wall, and seeming to be blind. The animals are often weak, uncoordinated and wobbly. Does the goat have a fever, and is she eating and drinking normally? Goats are really susceptible to pneumonia. Something else to consider is white muscle (selenium deficiency). For that you need a shot of BoSe. You have to get that from the vet, too

If it is polio, you really need thiamine, and you have to get that from the vet. B complex will help in the interim, but it really isn't strong enough. Some of the classic signs of polio are staring, pushing the head against the wall, and seeming to be blind. The animals are often weak, uncoordinated and wobbly. Does the goat have a fever, and is she eating and drinking normally? Goats are really susceptible to pneumonia. Something else to consider is white muscle (selenium deficiency). For that you need a shot of BoSe. You have to get that from the vet, too
X2 to all of this. Goats can go down fast, so I'd get a vet out as soon as is feasible.

Back
Top Bottom