Add another chick to existing chicks???

aimee

Songster
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
Lake WaConDa, NE
Hi, I'm the proud mother of three 2 1/2 week old chicks.
love.gif

A photogragher lady we know was using a chick she bought at the same time for some Easter photos but the chick is now too big to be in the photos. She called me and asked if I wanted her and of course I couldn't say no.

Will I have any problems putting this one with my three?

I added four chicks at a one week interval (making 6) and then two more a week later (making 8). The separation between the oldest and youngest was two weeks. The littlest chicks were very briefly (2 minutes, maybe) picked on by the older chicks at the very start, but after that I've had absolutely no problems. They all get along really well, despite size/age differences!

Here is a photo with the three ages illustrated;

tuesdayschickens001.jpg

The big brown one is 14 days older than the crested little bugger.

-MTchick

The new one has been added with the others. Turns out the new one is a Bantam and seems a little frighten of the big girls. They're the same age but my original three look huge next to her. Now I just need to figure out what type of Banty she is. I had posted her pic in the what breed section but I'll but it here too.

newgirl.jpg

I've had no problems blending chicks up to 3 weeks apart. I usually prefer to keep the under one week olds separate till they get a hold on the ground and life so they don't get steeped on while still learning how to stand. They are usually good to go after they can move around quickly. Just keep an eye on them to make sure they eat and drink.

I have a similar situation. I have three chicks who are about 3.5 weeks old. They have their tail feathers starting to shoot out and the wings are feathered up pretty nicely. They are an Araucana, a Rhode Island Red and a Barred Rock. I added a Buff Orpington who is a couple of weeks younger. The wing feathers are comming in but the tail feathers havent sprung. I thought she looked just a little smaller than my existing birds until I got her home and she was about half the size. The Araucana was really aggressive toward the little Orpington. She was having to hunker between the wall and the waterer. :eek: I knew she was going to get too cold hiding in the shade all the time and not getting any water or food. So I put her in her own container. I am hoping once she catches up in size, she will be able to fend for herself a little better. I know it is hard to introduce a new chicken to a flock but I had hoped chicks would be more forgiving. I am going to start her on some weight lifting with steroids, get her a tough tattoo and see how she fares in a week or two. Any other suggestions?

Facial piercings of course, and punk out her feathers. Don't forget to put on heavy black eyeliner and smudge it up a bit!
Oh...and a studded dog collar...

Back
Top Bottom