adding eggs to the incubator

mommyp

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Vestal
I was wondering if it makes a huge difference if i put a few eggs in at a time as my hens lay them? I have two groups segregated and my 4 buff orpington hens are faithfully giving me 4 eggs hopefully fertilized by thier Bo roo.By the condition of thier back feathers i would guess they would be fertile. I tried candling but the eggs are brown and I could only see shadows before I put them in.I FEEL SO GREEN AT THIS. My friend puts in a few eggs at a time but I just read a post about holding temp before incubation. What do you think?I am also using a hygrometer that i got from a pet store. They sell them for reptiles. I am keeping it about 60% does this sound right. This site is sooo awesome I learn something new everytime i'm on. My husband calls it my chicken chat room:)

I think 60% is to high until about the last three days. If you keep adding eggs when do you stop turning them? Unless you mark them and don't mix them up. If you keep opening the bator it will be hard to maintain a content heat. Just my 2 cent. RooDaddy

I would say, don't do it. You have to put all the eggs on the screen floor and out of the turner three days before hatch. As previous writer said, you'll never keep those turned that are not ready to hatch and also keep a constant temp. The constant temp to the last moment is critical to your hatch. Why not gather a clutch for a week or 10 days keeping them at room temp or slightly less, not refrigerated. I just hatched eggs yesterday that had been laid 14 days before I set them, but as I was getting only 1-2 eggs per day, I waited that long to get enough to make a good bator-full. Hatch rate rate is 55% and we're not through.

Also, hatch day is exciting and can be a zoo for you. Babies thrashing, eggs rolling everywhere. You won't want to have extra eggs in there.

Good luck.

sudolph

Thanks guys. Everything you said makes sense My friend has an extra incubator so maybe she moves the eggs to the new incubator 3 days before the hatch. I should ask her.I added for three days before i asked for your advice, duh. What should I do now? I hope I didn't screw this up.The only consolation is these are from our chickens not bought. I have two boys and a 4-h group watching me . Boy do I feel the pressure. Not to mention I love my chickens.

Mommyp, if you didn't mark them well so you know which ones you put in first, you have put yourself in a pickle. Let me know, and we'll procede.

sudolph

sudolph, I put dates on all of the eggs so I know when I put them in.Are you giving me hope that I did not totally ruin this.I'm grateful for any help.Thanks Mommy P

Back
Top Bottom