After the chicks hatch..

Gwhite3678

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
New Hampshire
First time hatching my own chicks, I know often times hatchery chicks are vaccinated and I’m wondering what if anything the average person does when hatching themselves. I have a small flock of 10 a little over a year old with no known diseases/ health issues.
I’ve heard of bringing in some of the dirt from my yard into the brooder but what else should I be doing? I didn’t use medicated feed on my current flock but should I with the ones I hatch? I’m not huge into using medications or interventions unnecessarily but I also want my chicks to be healthy

Most of the vaccinations are sold in huge lots, shipped overnight on dry ice, to be administered within a few hours. Unless you go in with several other owners, it is very pricey, and most of us small timers simply don't.

I have been hatching my own chicks from my self contained flock for the last 8 years with no issues whatsoever...but I have kept a closed flock.

I don't have issues with coccidiosis, but I don't have a lot of trouble in my soil. I HAVE overmedicated with medicated feed my broody hatched chicks such that they had signs of vitamin B deficiency (it's how the medicated Amprolium works...depriving the coccidia from vitamin B). I did have to treat that with added vitamins.

Every once in a while I have a little evidence that medicated would be advisable...but that has been a number of years...so most of the time I simply give normal chick feed or simply use medicated the first few weeks. I find my broody hatch chicks have integration from momma and the fact they are in the runs by a week or so.

All to say...I do nothing...no vaccination, no medicated feed, but I have broody hatched chicks in a closed flock.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom