Anyone who has hatched chicks in October: which month was their first year molt?

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
I want to hear from other people with October chickies. When did they molt?? Was it in the fall, around their one year mark? Was it in the winter, around January-February? Or was it in the spring, around May?

I’m curious to know, because my girl’s feathers (which were beautiful when I showed them as pullets) are now ratty and I’m going to be showing them in January and February. I hope I can get their feathers in good condition by then!

They generally molt the next year in the fall. Every year is slightly different as far as the starting date. Some start as soon as August and others start as late as December.

They generally molt the next year in the fall. Every year is slightly different as far as the starting date. Some start as soon as August and others start as late as December.
So for my birds, are you saying their mount may be this fall, in 2023, or may be in fall of 2024?

Hello! Just for the record my hens finally started their first big molts! Here’s the stats:

Adult feed: purina flock raiser with inert and oyster shell grit offered on the side

Region: Texas, U.S

Hatched: october 12, 2022

Breed: Ameraucana

Turned Hens (1yr old): October 12, 2023

First big molt: late Janurary, 2024

So, they hatched in October and ended up molting at 15 months old in the middle of the winter. Thankfully, it’s warm and sunny over here! They’ll be looking great for their March show :) IMG_8565.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom