Baby Gosling Found Lethargic & Oozing From Beak

Amwalkingstick

In the Brooder
May 30, 2021
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the gosling seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.). Chinese geese, smaller than the others - 10 goslings total - weight is ideal for size
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Found this morning around 7am lethargic, wouldn’t walk out of pen with other goslings, when picked up to be examined, liquid came out of mouth, not foamy but consistency of saliva with slight milky color
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since 7 am this morning, now the gosling (2pm) is also gasping
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I don’t know as they were all doing well yesterday and the majority of the flock is healthy and not experiencing any symptoms.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. They are being feed flock starter and are allowed to free range in run on grass and weeds.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Don’t know but inspected droppings in yard and they are a dark green with no bloody discharge.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? We have not administered any treatment due to the fact we don’t know what is wrong. When presented water, it will not drink.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Want to treat ourselves if possible.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: bedding is hay and they are kept in the enclosed chicken run.

So, just to give you some extra information, these are young goslings about 4-5 weeks old. They were purchased from a neighbor and We don’t know if they were vaccinated. We don’t own them but help out with their care. the owners have 27 chickens, 11 4-5 week old chicks, two adult ducks, 6 ducklings all aged 4-8 weeks and 3 dogs. The birds are allowed to mingle and exist in shared runs. No other signs of symptoms or disease are present in any of the flocks. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks but it died yesterday around 7 pm.
I'm sorry to hear that. :hugs

What you described recalls a situation I heard about from a poultrykeeper whose previously-active juvenile gosling suddenly became lethargic and spent a lot of time lying down. She died and was sent to the state lab for necropsy - it turned out to be a heart defect.

Without a necropsy, it's impossible to know for certain what the cause of your gosling's death was, but the symptoms you described do sound similar to the case I mentioned. If so, there really wasn't anything you could do.

I'm sorry to hear that. :hugs

What you described recalls a situation I heard about from a poultrykeeper whose previously-active juvenile gosling suddenly became lethargic and spent a lot of time lying down. She died and was sent to the state lab for necropsy - it turned out to be a heart defect.

Without a necropsy, it's impossible to know for certain what the cause of your gosling's death was, but the symptoms you described do sound similar to the case I mentioned. If so, there really wasn't anything you could do.
Thank you so much for your kindness. We buried her under a big tree. I think she’ll be happy there.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the gosling seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.). Chinese geese, smaller than the others - 10 goslings total - weight is ideal for size
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Found this morning around 7am lethargic, wouldn’t walk out of pen with other goslings, when picked up to be examined, liquid came out of mouth, not foamy but consistency of saliva with slight milky color
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since 7 am this morning, now the gosling (2pm) is also gasping
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I don’t know as they were all doing well yesterday and the majority of the flock is healthy and not experiencing any symptoms.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. They are being feed flock starter and are allowed to free range in run on grass and weeds.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Don’t know but inspected droppings in yard and they are a dark green with no bloody discharge.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? We have not administered any treatment due to the fact we don’t know what is wrong. When presented water, it will not drink.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Want to treat ourselves if possible.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: bedding is hay and they are kept in the enclosed chicken run.

So, just to give you some extra information, these are young goslings about 4-5 weeks old. They were purchased from a neighbor and We don’t know if they were vaccinated. We don’t own them but help out with their care. the owners have 27 chickens, 11 4-5 week old chicks, two adult ducks, 6 ducklings all aged 4-8 weeks and 3 dogs. The birds are allowed to mingle and exist in shared runs. No other signs of symptoms or disease are present in any of the flocks. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Frozen green peas

Back
Top Bottom