Best way to maximize space in an upright freezer with whole birds?

blessedflockmama

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2022
Hello! I am trying to figure out the ultimate hack. Yes, halving them is a great space saver, piecing them even more efficient.. but we still love a whole roasted bird periodically. Photos of how you keep them from slipping out and maximizing space in an upright would be lovely. I dream of a chest freezer but until then... I would love your suggestions.

I don't know - I only put about 10 whole chickens on the middle shelf, but mine were so heavy the freezer bowed in the middle, the middle shelf fell out of the groove, and all my frozen chickens fell all over the garage floor. I hate my upright freezer. Tell your loved one you need a Christmas present - chest freezers are on sale right now. Good luck!

I almost never part out my chickens so it can get to be a mess in the freezer. At first I used fabric shopping bags but now I use clear plastic totes. It gives me a space to write how many chicken are in the bin and when I processed them so I can use the older ones first without doing a lot of digging. When I do a freezer inventory I can quickly take the bin out and look through it for any vacuum seals that have failed and then put the whole bin right back.

Back
Top Bottom