black soldier fly mites

austroberta

Songster
5 Years
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
Hi. I noticed some very small tiny, tan mites in my black soldier bin. They seem to have proliferated exponentially and are out of control. They don't seem to affect the Black Soldier fly larvae, but I'm concerned that they might, if they are competing for food. Should I harvest what I can of my BSFL, clean out the bin and start over?

I took a picture of them with my camera phone, enlarged it and then discovered they are compost mites. They proliferate in really moist environments. I just got a black soldier fly bin online and the thing had no drainage except for a small, mesh covered tube on one side of the bin, so things are really wet in there. I'm definitely going to clean it out tomorrow and start over. Unfortunately it looks like this is going to be a recurring thing, as the drainage is really bad. I really regret buying the thing.

I took a picture of them with my camera phone, enlarged it and then discovered they are compost mites. They proliferate in really moist environments. I just got a black soldier fly bin online and the thing had no drainage except for a small, mesh covered tube on one side of the bin, so things are really wet in there. I'm definitely going to clean it out tomorrow and start over. Unfortunately it looks like this is going to be a recurring thing, as the drainage is really bad. I really regret buying the thing.
Any luck finding any further information about mites in black soldier fly bins???

I saw that you were having problems with mites in your bsfl Bins. Are you still having problems and if not how did you take care of them?

Back
Top Bottom