Brand Loyal ~ Small Flock?

Are you loyal to one Brand of Feed?

• Total voters

Hillbillenigma

Songster
6 Years
Jul 5, 2017
N.E. Tennessee/Kingsport
I’m a recent “empty nester” - :D Now that life is moving a bit slower for my Wife and I, I‘ve once again been lured back into the Chicken universe. As I plan and build my Coop and dream of my chick order for later this summer, I’ve also been researching feed. I’m planning on 15 - 20 chickens, all hens - just for eggs and companionship.

Without stirring up any more controversy regarding discussions about feed company formula changes, I just wondered if most folks prefer to stick with one Brand of feed for all stages of life? Do you see any advantage or disadvantage with staying with the same brand? Do you think it even makes a difference to the birds health if you switch Brands?

Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by "brand". Are you talking about the companies like Purina or Dumor, or are you talking about the marketing names like Layer, Starter, Flock Raiser, and such?

I have no brand loyalty to a company. I don't care if it is Dumor, Purina, or something else. I look at the analysis which mostly means percent calcium and percent protein and get something that matches their stage in life. I don't care if it is organic, all-natural, or anything like that. I prefer that it have meat protein since they are omnivores.

Since my flock almost always has juveniles in it I want something low in calcium, around 1%. I offer oyster shells on the side for those laying eggs. They all eat the same thing. If I have baby chicks in the flock they all get a low calcium feed with protein content either 18% or 20%. Once the chicks are over 4 weeks old the entire flock gets a low calcium feed with a protein content of 16% plus garden and kitchen scraps, excess from the orchard, any bugs or other creepy crawlies they can catch, and whatever they can forage.

I've been buying Kalmbach for several months now. They have feeds for chicks/growing and adult birds. I like their products, and I like where I buy them. The brand doesn't mean as much to me as the quality of the product, and I have to go by what the company puts on their label. I don't have means of testing it myself.

Back
Top Bottom