Breeds that mingle well

Jaime918

Songster
Nov 27, 2021
Pahrump, Nevada
I'm looking to add one more dual purpose, high egg production breed to my Dominiques.

I hatched some Barred Rocks with my Dominiques, but it didn't work out. They were to high strung, and big bullies so a choice was made and they were re-homed to a local farm/sanctuary.

I'm looking for something heat tolerant, and with a temperament similar to the Dominiques.
I've tossed the idea of Orpingtons, and Australorps. I would love to hear of other breeds that may be an option before trying to make a decision.

I live in the miserable Sacramento Valley and summers are typically over 100 thru much of July and August. I have Orpingtons, Marans, a Wyandotte, Ameraucanas (roosters), and silkies and they all fared as well as could be expected in the heat and they are all very docile breeds that really get along with most other breeds. I just introduced 8 week old Polish, Ameraucana and d'Uccles babies to them all and so far, everyone is behaving and there hasn't been any bullying. I'm very happy with these breeds!

I love my Australorps and Welsummers! Highly recommend both, but especially the Australorps if you are looking for high production.

I also plan to get Dominiques and Speckled Sussex, and possibly Marans. Personality wise, I think they should all mesh well, although I've heard the Marans can be hit and miss temperament wise, depending on which color, and depending on the bird. The Welsummers and Marans are known moreso for their pretty eggs, than production, but I've heard the Speckled Sussex are great producers as well.

Those would be my top three picks for heritage production and temperament - Australorp, Speckled Sussex, Dominique.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do!

I love my Australorps and Welsummers! Highly recommend both, but especially the Australorps if you are looking for high production.

I also plan to get Dominiques and Speckled Sussex, and possibly Marans. Personality wise, I think they should all mesh well, although I've heard the Marans can be hit and miss temperament wise, depending on which color, and depending on the bird. The Welsummers and Marans are known moreso for their pretty eggs, than production, but I've heard the Speckled Sussex are great producers as well.

Those would be my top three picks for heritage production and temperament - Australorp, Speckled Sussex, Dominique.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do!
For now I've just chose to stick with the Dominiques outside of my bantams. They've been such great birds all around, so I eventually decided I didn't want to bring another breed in yet.

Pheonixes seem good in our summers, and I'm constantly finding big nests being sat on, so they must be good layers
They are beautiful! My serama boy looks to be mixed with gray japanese bantam or silver phoenix maybe. I haven't been able to pin it down yet. Down his back he's white, he's just messy. He'll stand in the misters and then dust bathe. 😂
IMG_20220705_092214.jpg

Back
Top Bottom